StartSmart Complete?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
So...I just started working at a small pet store a month and a half ago (not petco or petsmart, but a small mom and pop), and we carry some fish and supplies...anywho, we carry a product called StartSmart Complete and what it is, is an "instant cycler"...I'm of the opinion there is no such thing, but I haven't had the money or necessity to try it for myself. I was curious to know if any of you have tried it, and to see what you guys think of it?!

I tested it once and it did nothing for me. Apart from that I have no experience with it, but have lumped it into the 'bacteria booster that doesn't work'/snake oil category. That's also because there is little documentation on what the product actually is, apart from a small marketing writeup that I found and some basic sales stuff.

Thanks for your input! I thought as much...I hate to be the person that sells aquarium products that don't work...oyi! Is there anyone that has had good experience with it?

My brother tried it and it didn't do anything but ammonia was in the tank when we tested it. Other than that it didn't do anything.

Well shoot...thanks for your input you guys! I really appreciate it :)

I think it's hit and miss with those kinds of things. Some people it may help a little, and most people it won't do anything for.

Ya...the owner swears by it...and I'm just not buyin into it

I am trying out something like that... I hope it works. It was suggested by a few people.

User said:
I am trying out something like that... I hope it works. It was suggested by a few people.

Good luck...hope it works

A product that doesn't give much background on what it is, or how it works, is not as much it and miss to me, but a total miss.

In order for the bacteria transfer process to work it takes several careful steps to ensure that it makes the transition, remember that the nitrifying bacteria naturally found in aquaria are aerobic, which means they need oxygen to some degree (i.e. cannot have an unlimited shelf life) and they are also temperature sensitive so they require some amount of careful handling.

This is basic knowledge about nitrifiers and as more people are becoming aware of it, the companies that actually have a viable product go to the extra effort to explain their process at least enough to show the consumer why their product 'should' work, i.e. dr tim's one and only and tetra safestart, for example.

That said, the few that are tried and true can still fail based on the several variables that come into play when someone attempts to seed their tank.

Well put, thank you for that! Oh and I guess I should mention...the owner also thinks she is selling mating pair of dwarf cichlids...but they are both males...I've tried telling her, but she won't listen...blah

jetajockey said:
Well as an employee, just remember to use a gentle paddle when steering, you don't want to rock the boat too hard or you might fall overboard. :)

Ya...I just let people know under my breath...

Back
Top Bottom