Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Arrow Stealth Heater

It really doesn't matter I guess what kind of Heater you have. My question is there a way to calibrate the adjustment on your heaters? It seems that every heater I've owned after 6 months or more it does not keep the same temperature that you dial it 2, if I set it for 79 degress it only give me 77 or 78 degress. When new it's dead on. Just wondering if there is a way to calibrate? If not I guess a new one will be replacing the old one soon? Any one know the exact expected life for a heater? Any if possible?

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
Mine is even crazier, I put it at 68degrees but my tank always at 76degrees or 77

bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

That's because your Special... ... JK Jenny...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I cant tell you anything about life of a heater, I've had a visatherm for over a year, no problems. Its never set the same as my water temp though. Last summer I had to turn it down a few degrees and this winter ive bumped it up 3-4. I think in the summer it was set to 74-75 and my water was 79-80, in the winter its set to around 78-79 and the water is around 79-80. I think you'll find that with most heaters. My MH also push the temp up a degree or two right now, Im sure it will be much worse in the summer. Im just thinking if you got that heater 6mo ago(August) it was probably much warmer in your place. I dont think your heater is going out, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

It's almost impossible to gauge the water temperature by the setting on the heater dial. You have to use a thermometer to accurately measure the water temperature. I use a digital thermometer that I got at a kitchen-home store.

I have had Visitherm Deluxe and Visitherm Stealth heaters. I like them both; I prefer the plastic of the Stealth over the glass Deluxe. They both keep a steady temperature. It's not so much the number on the dial that you need to be concerned with; it's the resulting temperature that you measure with your thermometer, and whether the heater keeps the water at that temperature consistently.

I also adjust the heater dial seasonally. When I do, I use the thermometer to determine where the final setting of the dial should be, rather than the actual number on the dial.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

My brand new stealth reads about 1 degree warmer than the actual water temp.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Over the years I think I owned about every brand of heater made. I have yet to find 1 that stays accurate and after time they either don't come on or don't shut off.
IMO, the best thing to do is buy a controller. The Ranco controller is an excellent investment if you want stable temps.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Over the years I think I owned about every brand of heater made. I have yet to find 1 that stays accurate and after time they either don't come on or don't shut off.
IMO, the best thing to do is buy a controller. The Ranco controller is an excellent investment if you want stable temps.
There is 2 which one should I get?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
1 is a 1 stage for only controlling a heater or fan. The other is 2 stage that will control both heating and cooling. I use the 2 stage and have it set for my heaters to come on at 78 and shut off at 79 and the fans are set to come on at 81 and shut off at 80. Even with my MH lighting, the fans have not kicked on over the winter. For the summer I'll probably change the heater to on at 77 and off at 78 and fans on at 80 and off at 79.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Aw/.. IC So I can Plug my Heater into it and control the Temp from there?

Tags
eat, eater, heater, stealth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com