Storing RO water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'll be setting up an RO/DI system in the next few weeks. Just curious as to what folks store their water in (if anything).
Im looking to have around 50 gallons on hand for water changes, and will need to roll it from one area to another for filling/emptying.

These are the two options Ive come up with:
1) I found a 55 gallon water barrel for around $150 and a set of rollers it can sit on for around $60 (rated to hold 1000 lbs of weight). At $200+, that's the more expensive option.

The cheaper option is a large, 55 gallon Rubbermaid trashcan. It also has a set of rollers that is designed to fit, and together they cost around $90. The roller here is rated to hold 350 lbs.

Strictly from a money perspective it seems like a no-brainer. However, I have concerns about both the trashcan's and its roller's ability to hold the water weight (about 460 lbs). Plus Im not really sure if the container itself is designed to hold that much weight and pressure. Im thinking that it may not be worth the savings if Im risking coming home to a huge mess.

Anybody have some insight, or perhaps a suggestion that I haven't considered?

A lot of people use the 32 gallon brute trash cans by rubbermaid..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I4QNZPE They are $25.94 each at the moment on amazon, Lids are $8.42 ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OAYJ5G ), and they use the same rollers as the 55 gallon ones you were looking at, but instead of having 55 gallons of water on one, you only have 32. So, you could use two of the trash cans, have more capacity, and less weight on each roller.
55gal water @ 8.34lb / gal = 458.7lbs... The roller is rated for 350lb. Not a good idea.
32gal water @ 8.34lb / gal = 266.9 lbs... The roller is rated for 350lb, you should be OK.

Just another idea.

An addition:

Some people plumb the trash cans to the RO source, w/ float valves etc to prevent overflowing, and have them stationary. If your tanks are close enough (say, maybe 100ft?) You could plumb the trash cans together on the bottoms, run them to a pump, and have 100ft or however long of a hose running from it to wherever you need the water to end up. The price of the pump and plumbing could be less than the cost of the rollers, plus you could use any sized container you wanted without having to worry about moving it around.

If you have already thought of and considered that, and it won't work for you, then ignore it..

Always the best,
-GolferDude

Unfortunately Im in an apartment, so both plumping something directly into the container and having additional space taken up by having two containers isnt really going to work for me. :ermm:

Thanks though. :)

Either small water containers that can be stacked or a larger storage tank, those are the two choices, most tanks come in a variety of sizes so you may find a suitable corner.

I used 25 litre containers (6gal) stacked 2 high is ok. I did that for 7years or more. These are manageable weights of water and is ok for one or two smaller or less demanding systems. It is very time consuming! The containers need to be monitored or a shut off system needs to be paid for, multi bottle systems are quite costly. I used a cheap larger spill tray as a fill station, ok I lost a few litres every now and then but it prevents flooding unless you fall asleep! (Even then it gives several hours protection)

Recently I got a much larger water tank which is much better!
(You can go to sleep and produce water overnight, that's the benefit of a big tank vs containers) calculate production and find a tank to suit your unit, remember to include the temperature variable with RO production. If you live in a cold place this is quite important sometimes it takes a day to make 200 litres about 55gals (@75GPD), in a warm place production will be much faster than the quoted! Allow for this if you live in a warm place! Hot summers used to catch me out all the time! (That's where the spill tray came from, a few £/$/€ from most home or DIY type store)

Really it depends on how much do you need to store?

In a normal house setting, the first is easily hidden in a cupboard after production, the second is a more permanent installation.

Search for potable water containers/tanks.
I got mine here
Tanks Direct | Buy Water Tanks, IBCs, Fittings & More

They have a spec for the container, it should be advertised as potable or safe for drinking water. It will be of no use in the states but it gives you an idea.

Look for a food grade plastic drum. They can usually be picked up for a reasonable cost after the food is removed from them. A drum dolly and you would be good to go.
Setting the barrel up and pumping to and from it would be the easiest.

Rolling the barrel around may trash the floors, i use a 22 gal brute barrel with a submersible 350 gph pump. A 10' length of low memory python hose and clip reaches all my tanks, no rollers, no sloshing water, no worries..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just need to roll it back and forth between my kitchen sink (where the RO unit will be) and the corner where it will be stored. About 6 ft each way.
I plan on using a pump to get the water from the container to the aquariums.

I currently do weekly 50% PWCs on a 45 gal, two 20 gals, and a 10 gal. Because of this, I'd rather have one large container rather than multiple smaller. Plus I would have to constantly babysit smaller containers while they were being filled.

Looking online for suitable containers, the cheapest I could find was the one I mentioned in my original post. I'll check out the link given though and see what they offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Site the reservoir and coil up the 6mm hose each time, then nothing needs moving. That RO style tubing is very cheap per metre no matter what currency you use. It will be a push fit into reservoir so there is no issues. For 6ft that would be easiest, cheapest and safest.

Not shifting large volumes is safest! Also if you can mount it up high (at least as high as a container) you can use gravity to fill your containers saving the cost of one pump and fittings.

55 gal is 200 kg or so that's around 450lb plus container and trolley, very heavy! Especially if you allow for fluid motion. Once you get it moving stopping it safely would be a concern.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92891884@N04/14511937815/
(My 55gal reservoir, it's washing machine sized)

Hmmm... That might be the way to go. I'm tentatively planning on mounting the unit above the kitchen sink as long as it won't look TOO terrible. Under the sink would be my second option. The place I ordered the RO unit from sells the tubing for about $.12/ft, so more than doable.
I may even check a home improvement store if it's convenient.

That link for containers you sent was for a store in the UK. I found a site in the US, but they wanted $120 for the container and $90 for shipping.

Thanks

The tubing and compression fittings can be bought at home depot or lowes.

Is there no way you can just run the water to where the container will sit? RO units fill pretty slow so it will be sitting near your sink for extended periods of time anyway. I would also recommend installing a float valve so you don't have to babysit them.

Either there's a container in front of the kitchen sink, or there's a tube running across my kitchen floor. Neither is ideal. I guess it's just a matter of picking my poison.
I think I'll go with the later though. The idea of accidentally spilling everywhere while rolling it around was enough for me to change my mind.

It looks like it just has a screen on the top. Is that what you want?

The whole top screws off.
The more I look into these, the more it sounds like they used to store food and are being repurposed into rain barrels. Some people say the have a vinegary, pickle smell to them.

You can buy new unused 55g plastic drums. I think they cost in the $60-70 range. Shipping might suck though.

I was looking into that. The price range was closer to $90. The problem was that they wanted over $100 for shipping. I was leaving that as a last resort while I explored other options.

The good news is that I just got off the phone with a buddy that works for a chemical supply company. Not sure why I didn't think of him sooner. At any rate, he says he can get me what I want, brand new, for $30.
I just have to make the 3 hour drive to pick it up. I've been looking for an excuse to visit him and his family anyways. :dance:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416953702.751511.jpg

Funny how things like finding exactly what you're looking for and getting a great deal to boot makes you smile all day. :)
lol it's just a stupid plastic barrel.

Congrats, did you find one locally or did you have to drive 3 hours?

No no... Still have make the trip. No big deal though. I probably make a week end of it.

Back
Top Bottom