Straight Talk on Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebel1970

Aquarium Advice Activist
From every thing I have read about heaters, it is a crap shoot on which one is the best or very good for the price. I am setting up a 75 gallon fresh water community tank. If I have to spend $100.00 for a heater or heaters, fine. But I would prefer to spend $100.00 for a $100.00 heater, rather than one that is only really worth $9.99. Thanks in advance for the advice

I would go with two heaters in case one went bad during use. It is a crap shoot sometimes with quality. I've heard tragic stories with titanium, plastic and glass heaters. Marineland just had a recall on some heaters. I like Hydor heaters right now.

I had a titanum heater explode. I would buy what you can afford. I would buy bigger than you need. That way, The heater is not constantly on.

I like titanium heaters in the sump, connected to a controller. Two heaters, with one set 1 degree below the other in case of failure. I trust an industrial grade controller more than the factory ones for the heaters.

I would go with two heaters in case one went bad during use. It is a crap shoot sometimes with quality. I've heard tragic stories with titanium, plastic and glass heaters. Marineland just had a recall on some heaters. I like Hydor heaters right now.

i have had 3 hydors explode on me. unprevoked completely underwater.

im partial to the Jagers right now. i use 2 in my 120 and havent had a problem with them also switched all my cubes to the smaller jagers and they have been doing well

Thanks for the info.
Has anyone had any luck with the Azoo? It is a bit expensive, but it is a top rated heater. The reviews on ALL products have a lot of the factory workers writing the reviews, which is not well known to the consumer. Or sometimes they are written by the retailer as well. I know this because I have been told this by some of the workers in the manufacturing industry, and retailers. Like camping equipment. I have a friend(haha) that runs 2 heaters plugged into a power strip that is plugged into a controller and he says it works great. And I am not to sure about the kids that work like places like Petsmart, ect.

i have had 3 hydors explode on me. unprevoked completely underwater.

im partial to the Jagers right now. i use 2 in my 120 and havent had a problem with them also switched all my cubes to the smaller jagers and they have been doing well

Were they fairly new Hydors? You have me wondering now. Mine are new but I might make the switch after hearing about your experience. Messy glass cleanup?

they were 2 years ago .. not sure if their construction has changed since. and no i lucked out they were both contained . but if they were in a silly high flow area uncontained it could have been messy

Back
Top Bottom