Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Strainer

From time to time my silver dollars knock off the strainer on my filter. Once the strainer is gone as my smaller fish swim past the filter it sucks them into the canister. Rather than gluing the strainer on to the intake tube I was thinking of drilling a small hole into the strainer and intake tube and inserting a piece of metal so the strainer wouldn't come off, but that I could remove the metal if I needed to clean, or get into the intake tube. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. If I used something metal I'd need something that wouldn't rust (I was thinking maybe a paperclip would work). Or should I just glue?

gail

Old 04-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would probably just glue it tbh. I've never really had a true need to remove the strainer on my filter.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't want to remove the strainer, I want to secure it to keep my small fish safe, because when the silver dollars knock it off the small fish end up inside my canister filter and I have to open it up and take them out. I just need some suggestions on how to secure the strainer to the intake tube.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail View Post
I don't want to remove the strainer, I want to secure it to keep my small fish safe, because when the silver dollars knock it off the small fish end up inside my canister filter and I have to open it up and take them out. I just need some suggestions on how to secure the strainer to the intake tube.
Superglue.

Hot glue can work and you can still remove it.

Tags
strain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com