Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #1

Strange Brown Stains on One of My "Shipwreck" Ornaments...Is This "Brown Algae"?

I've noticed a bunch of "dotted" stains on the white silk sails of a wrecked pirate ship decoration I have in the center of my tank, and they seem to have appeared suddenly...they're pronounced and a reddish brown in color, but I have no idea how they got there...it's almost like one of the fish "bled" or "defacated" on the sails, but of course neither of these scenarios is possible...

Is this some kind of "brown algae" growth? If so, is there anything I can do about this without taking the ornament out of the tank? I think I am just beginning to get this water stable and clean, and I don't want to run the risk of sticking my hand in there to stress the fish and upset the substrate, possibly kicking up loads of debris...

Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I googled it and this website came up
Algae Reference - Brown Algae
Is that what it looks like?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #3

Thanks Liz,

Appreciate the research -- but there are no pictures to compare! Not sure if what they're describing is what we're getting...

The cures seem odd though; should I put this special additive in one of my filters? Get a catfish?

I don't think lighting is the problem -- we have no real plants, and the lighting is fluorescent and isn't left on all that much. The tank isn't in sunlight.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this a new tank? If so, it might be diatoms, which is also called "New Tank Syndrome." My snails took care of mine for me, but I think it goes away by itself.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #5

Well, "fairly" new; it's been running at least since the summer months....

Would these fade off an ornament when they look so dark and stained?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not sure what you mean. Mine went away because the snails ate it.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

you can just wash them off. but they Will probably be back. you may try washing it and then sun drying it. Im having the same issue now.
It really is annoying , all the work you put in it and then it looks bad.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

If it looks kind of like rust and rubs off like powder, its diatoms. Common in new tanks (<6 months old), but can still appear in any tank (caused by silacates). I wouldn't worry with it. I've had a little in my 150g for the 1.5 years I've had it

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
I am not sure what you mean. Mine went away because the snails ate it.
Well, I have no snails to eat this -- but what I meant was, will they fade by themselves, I wonder, due to the fact that they're so dark and horiffic in appearance?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
If it looks kind of like rust and rubs off like powder, its diatoms. Common in new tanks (<6 months old), but can still appear in any tank (caused by silacates). I wouldn't worry with it. I've had a little in my 150g for the 1.5 years I've had it
This must be what it is -- the spots do look like rust. I haven't touched them though. Can you explain what these "diatoms" and "silacates" are, and where they come from?

Thanks.

Tags
algae, brown algae, stain, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com