Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 494
Strangely Drilled Used Tank (what to do?)

I just bought a used 125g tank which has dual overflows. Now, the previous owner plumbed a bulkhead through one of the overflows. So, there is a bulkhead in the bottom front of the overflow and glued plumbing which connects the bulkhead to the return bulkhead in the bottom of the overflow box. He told me he used this as a return from a closed loop. He had an intake over the top of the tank and used this odd bulkhead to connect a series of pvc pipes under his rocks as returns. Now, it seems like a fine idea but in case of power outages, you'd need to break the siphon somehow.

So, now I'm thinking use one overflow as normal, standpipe and return. use the other bulkhead's standpipe and return over the top of the tank. And use the bulkhead in the overflow as an INTAKE for a closed loop, except I could mount the pump on top of the tank, above the water level. I can return it using a series of spraybars at the top of the tank. If power fails, I'll have no problems with the tank draining because the pump will be above water level. Does this sound like it would work? Any other ideas on how to utilize this stupid hole in the overflow?

pics to follow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontwithintake_197.jpg (13.1 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg fromtop_102.jpg (9.3 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg fromback_187.jpg (9.9 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg fromfront_956.jpg (13.4 KB, 276 views)

SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Community Admin
melosu58's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,340
Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.



You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 494
You know what? Stupid question. There is nowhere for water to back siphon, hence the name 'closed loop' so I think my question is irrelevant. There isn't really a need to break siphon.
- Skins

210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote

angel, drilled, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drilled Tank Leak eatsomepopcorn General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 18 01-24-2010 12:12 PM
where to get my tank drilled? vincerules General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 2 07-18-2008 07:35 PM
Getting tank drilled for overflow. Marc118 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 16 05-24-2006 07:52 PM
Just drilled my first tank!! jamal-188 Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 4 03-19-2005 11:13 PM
After a tank is drilled... RLG2182 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 10 02-27-2005 07:10 PM

» Photo Contest Winners

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.