Stupid acrylic tank business called crazing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BRSIII

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought this tank off craigs list. traveled 4.5 hours to get it and brought it home excited the whole way. I've got about 475-500 in it now counting gas and what not. Last night when we were unloading it i noticed all these micro-fractures in it. I thought i had done my research about polishing acrylic tanks and what to look for since this is the first ive ever owned. I guess i was wrong, i didn't even know "crazing" was a thing until this morning. I have some pictures, i need some experts to please tell me if this thing is worth polishing out or if i should just use it for firewood. (I heard they are very flammable this morning as well haha.)

I can deal with the crazing being there you can barely see it with the tank filled. I set it up on a nice level pad last night and filled it no leaks or bowing. Its 73x30x18 with 1/2 inch acrylic panels. it has an overflow in one end but has never been drilled. I believe it may have been in a dr office and might have been cleaned with windex or something but i tried a section and it got crystaly clear with just novus 3 and 2 so it will definitely clean up.

Just tell me if this things going to explode or not.

55 gallon for scale
img_3070215_0_bc08c64de9dc13bc289b7d8113f9dc14.jpg

and these are the edges with the crazing. All edges look crystal clear except the bad spot pictured.
img_3070215_1_e66acc3e7e45f40e1fbc14e2bef78eac.jpg

img_3070215_2_5eb4560f1f20a3ad2e1bdaaa1107a841.jpg

img_3070215_3_ab6856a07f04714c268424b91ae24c09.jpg

and the bad one, right front center bottom.
img_3070215_4_70ddf9bef04e1f515cc53af5b8f7007f.jpg

img_3070215_5_1c8d2d922fc7bf1e3deb30a178d3e9a2.jpg

it holds water fine with no bowing that i noticed. ive read this is very common and i can say i will never buy another used acrylic tank i will stick with what i know and thats glass. im sick at my stomach now because i thought i finally was going to have a big tank and now i think its just trash.

friend of mine that owns a local pet store came and took a look at it. he said he wouldn't trust it in his house but then he tried to buy it from me so i cant really say i trust his input. He might be trying to slip it out from under me cheap so hes telling me its a terrible pos.

friend of mine that owns a local pet store came and took a look at it. he said he wouldn't trust it in his house but then he tried to buy it from me so i cant really say i trust his input. He might be trying to slip it out from under me cheap so hes telling me its a terrible pos.

If he’s trying to buy it from you, it’s because he knows crazing of acrylic is a normal thing. Most likely your tank is going to hold water just fine. I’ve bought, sold and/or installed hundreds of acrylic tanks since going into business 30 years ago. Don’t give up on it. Use it.

Dick

Back
Top Bottom