Stupid air pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kallen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Top Fin Air4000 air pump with dual ports. If I cover or block one of the ports, I notice no noticeable difference in output. This leads me to believe it is dual diaphragm, but I have not been able to verify this searching online.

What I want to know, if I were to take a T or Y connector, connected to both ports, and run my air hose on this (meaning my air hose is receiving the full output of both ports combined) would I get more output in my tank? Or am I looking at this the wrong way? Thanks!

That would put strain on the pump, however there should be more output if you plug one and there isn't more output on the other. Easy way to test is with a y and airstones. More bubbles, more output.

That would put strain on the pump, however there should be more output if you plug one and there isn't more output on the other. Easy way to test is with a y and airstones. More bubbles, more output.

Sorry, but I don't totally understand your post. You said I shouldn't connect them because too much strain, but the. Said I should test it with the Y connector.

How would connecting the two sides together cause excess strain on the pump?

I use a y piece on my pump to join two outputs and yes it does increase the airflow!
I've had mine running like this for sometime and it has no affect on the running!

Kallen said:
I have a Top Fin Air4000 air pump with dual ports. If I cover or block one of the ports, I notice no noticeable difference in output. This leads me to believe it is dual diaphragm, but I have not been able to verify this searching online.

What I want to know, if I were to take a T or Y connector, connected to both ports, and run my air hose on this (meaning my air hose is receiving the full output of both ports combined) would I get more output in my tank? Or am I looking at this the wrong way? Thanks!

I have had my 125 running with 3 seperate air pumps( I got them free do I just combined them for the output I want instead if buying one bug one. Anyways I have a junction box that all pumps run into and has adjustable valves. All my pumps have 2 diaphragms and I use a t on on the output the run that single line to my junction. Been this way for about 10 years now and have only had 1 pump blow the diaphragms and after inspection it was due to them just being old and brittle. Replaced the diaphragms and good as new now.

If your worried about them fighting each other though a very simple way to fix that is to buy two simple check valves that will only allow flow of air one way and put one on each tube just before the t connector

Very inexpensive from any LFS. I'll post a pic so you know what to look for if you decide to use them. Also very handy incase you lose power it will prevent water siphoning into your pump and ruining it

Attachments

• image-1962689825.jpg
    image-1962689825.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,668
Thanks for all the info! I went to the store with the intention of getting a Y, but discovered that 8' of the tubing was actually cheaper than the connector. So I instead went that route. Drained some water into my change bucket and ran a second line. This fixed the air problem. In fact, I had to dial down the pump because there was too much! Nice problem to have... :)

Back
Top Bottom