Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks to your question it prompted me to do some research. Looks like as long as the glass is of good quality tempered glass, there isn't really a weight capacity that we could over fill for an aquarium. As long as nothing sharp is directly on the glass creating a pressure point, and the stand is level, the tank should be able to withstand any amount of weight we could put in it for normal aquairum use.. I've seen 300 gallon aquariums holding 7000lbs on a hollow wrought iron frame. So i think your fine.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Perhaps I am being overly critical of that (albeit impressive) YouTube clip, but I'm still a little nervous (less so, though).

The video showed that was ~90 lbs of rocks - a far cry from ~300 lbs of water/gravel/rocks. Yes, he stood on a few rocks for an estimated 220 lbs, but who's to say if that would have held for 5 years.

My tank and stand are made by All Glass. The stand was made for that particular tank and they were bought together (18 years ago, according to the inspection date of 1993). The stand is as good as new, and nothing is visibly wrong with the tank. Am I good to go? Is All Glass a reputable company?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I agree, there is a difference between short term and long term loading, and material fatigue is a big concern. It is important to note though that he had all ~90lbs (and then 220+lbs) on a small area of the glass. Your load will be distributed somewhat equally over the entire bottom.

All Glass has been making aquariums for a long time. I would say they are reputable.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpadesSI
Perhaps I am being overly critical of that (albeit impressive) YouTube clip, but I'm still a little nervous (less so, though).

The video showed that was ~90 lbs of rocks - a far cry from ~300 lbs of water/gravel/rocks. Yes, he stood on a few rocks for an estimated 220 lbs, but who's to say if that would have held for 5 years.

My tank and stand are made by All Glass. The stand was made for that particular tank and they were bought together (18 years ago, according to the inspection date of 1993). The stand is as good as new, and nothing is visibly wrong with the tank. Am I good to go? Is All Glass a reputable company?
That video, although interesting isn't a good example since all the weight is being put on a single (small) rock and not the entire bottom of the tank.

Tempered glass on its surface is very hard to brake, tap its edge and it'll explode. (I worked in a window mfg plant years ago driving fork lifts and trashing bad door panel glass was one of the fun jobs )
Old 04-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

It seems that All Glass is now part of Aqueon. I have no idea how they have changed their tank design in the last 18 years, but according to their website they do NOT use tempered bottom glass in their new 30-gallon tanks!

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/011/19107.pdf

Is there any way to know if mine has tempered glass? If not, then that video doesn't really apply to my aquarium.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

To be safe I would put a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood under the tank, and a layer of styrofoam or felt on top the plywood to cushion the glass and relieve stress. Three-sixteenth of an inch of glass does not seem sufficient to support 300 pounds of water, unless the glass is laminated for strength.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
Sliced Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence View Post
To be safe I would put a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood under the tank, and a layer of styrofoam or felt on top the plywood to cushion the glass and relieve stress. Three-sixteenth of an inch of glass does not seem sufficient to support 300 pounds of water, unless the glass is laminated for strength.
I'd warn against this without discussing it with the manufacturer first.

Again, remember that these aquariums are designed so that the bottom plate of glass is suspended by the lower trim. This was done on purpose.

Putting a flat surface and foam under there that makes contact to the glass can cause point loading to occur (similar to the video where all of the weight is point-loaded into the footprint of that smaller rock). Point loading something is the main way that glass breaks.

Now, I'm not saying it's not possible to put foam under there, but without talking to the manufacturer I wouldn't advise doing it freely.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, the sides are 3/16". I'm merely assuming that's the bottom thickness, too.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpadesSI
Well, the sides are 3/16". I'm merely assuming that's the bottom thickness, too.
Depending on tank size and shape, different thickness and types of glass can be used. On my 37g tall, there was a warning not to drill the back pane as it's tempered glass, but the side panes could be drilled as they're standard glass (non-tempered). I don't know about the bottom, but it's suspended a 1/4" above the bottom of the rim.

Now I figure that Topfin calculated the stress on the bottom panel to support a normal aquarium setup. If not they'd be out of business in no time repairing peoples ruined carpet, flooring, etc if it wasn't properly designed.

If I had a custom or home made tank, then I'd be worried. As long as the bottom rim is properly supported and the tank is level, I feel perfectly safe with it as it was designed.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most tanks with frames are designed to be supported by the frame only. It will support the weight. You do NOT want to support the bottom panel with any foam, etc. Doing so will cause uneven support of the bottom panel and will risk breaking it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com