Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stupid Question - Need Answer

So I was about to set up my 30-gallon tank yesterday when something gave me pause. Does the bottom glass of an aquarium need to be directly supported? I'll explain...

My tank has an accompanying stand which was built for this aquarium. The stand is hollow (for storage) with cabinet doors on the front and holes for filtration tubes on the back. The top of the stand is open, as well. The way the tank is secured on the stand is by wood trim which locks the bottom lip the tank. The tank slides in from the back.

I'm quite confident that the tank is well secured on the stand. That's not the issue. My issue is that, because the aquarium isn't sitting on a flat table, the only thing between 300 lbs of water, rocks, and fish, and three feet of air below is a piece of 3/16" glass (assuming the bottom glass is the same thickness as the sides).

Does that sound safe to you???

Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I prefer to have the entire bottom supported.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Sliced Bread

Most glass aquariums are designed and built to only be supported around the edges and wrapped in the lower trim which is all that would touch the stand anyway.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
Most glass aquariums are designed and built to only be supported around the edges and wrapped in the lower trim which is all that would touch the stand anyway.
That's what I was thinking. As the bottom glass isn't flush with the bottom lip, even if I were to place the tank on a table I still don't think that pane would be supported (directly, at least).

Maybe it just looks more daunting when I look through the (currently empty) bottom and see 3 ft of empty space. Besides the safety of the fish, which is obviously a concern, I will be keeping this tank in the same room as my expensive computer so the thought of a catastrophic spill in that room gives me cold sweats!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

LoL I understand. I am not basing my post on any facts... I have always had a flat bottom supported entirely with my tanks, it I would just be freaked out like you to not have it setup in that manner.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can anyone else chime in to attempt to reassure me that a thin pane of glass can actually support ~300 lbs?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

take a look at this video..

YouTube - Tempered Glass Aquarium
Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #8

Wow
Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpadesSI
Can anyone else chime in to attempt to reassure me that a thin pane of glass can actually support ~300 lbs?
I can give you my rimmed 37g (raised bottom glass panel) setup as an example. My stand (a heavy duty cabinet) has raised 1x4 trim on either end which the tank ends rest on. In order to support the front and back panels of the tank I put 1x2 trim wood from end to end to fill this gap. The entire bottom area of the tank has no fill what so ever, it has been setup for over a year with no issues. Total est. weight of my DT is 350lbs.

IME/O, as long as the rimmed bottom of the tank is supported and level, you're going to be just fine.

Rimless tanks DO need full bottom support. The panel isn't designed to be self supporting.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

LoL looks like good proof that you might be ok without having the entire bottom supported. Especially since the load was distributed over such a small area of the glass.

If the trim extends past the glass and it is not flush, having a board across the bottom won't change the way it is supported anyway.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com