Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sturdy enough for a stand?

Not that I *need* to set up another tank but if the option's available......🤔
Have a 36L x 24W x 30H table built from pressure treated 2x4s just sitting in the outside storage unit and I'm wondering if this would hold a 30g tank. Really don't want to recaulk the 55g to reuse it but the 35g is just too small for all that I wanted to use it for - **** goodeid breed like rabbits. Any thoughts or suggestions for making this work?

Old 02-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A decked out 30 gal. Tank is going to weigh approx. 300 lbs. You will have to test out the table and make your own decision.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like to use 4X4's for legs. (On the inside) under the 4 corners of the tank, and in the middle. Think as long as you brace it and it's built right, you'll be fine. Back in the day. My parents had a 30g and the stand was made of 2X4's. It's just gotta be built strong. 2X4's all around the top and bottom attached to the legs. And reinforced on the inside. And with long screws. I made this one to hold my 75g. Just to give ya an idea. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1617.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	306816Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1631.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	306817
Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angellove78 View Post
I like to use 4X4's for legs. (On the inside) under the 4 corners of the tank, and in the middle. Think as long as you brace it and it's built right, you'll be fine. Back in the day. My parents had a 30g and the stand was made of 2X4's. It's just gotta be built strong. 2X4's all around the top and bottom attached to the legs. And reinforced on the inside. And with long screws. I made this one to hold my 75g. Just to give ya an idea. Attachment 306816Attachment 306817
The way the 2X4's are on the bottom are same as the top under those top boards.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Angel- you could land a small aircraft on that bad boy hahah
Earth- post a picture, if it built well and 2x4 material it should be fine
Old 02-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Angel- you could land a small aircraft on that bad boy hahah
Earth- post a picture, if it built well and 2x4 material it should be fine
Right! I don't mess around. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again. Lol! But yeah, if you can post a pic and see if it's nailed or screwed together that would help us to help you. But, I'm sure you get the idea either way. Long screws hold better. But long nails do alright too just depends on the build. Think my tank will either fall through the floor or leak first before my stand gives away. Think even if it fell through the floor the tank would break but the stand would be OK. Lol!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh wow. I thought I overbuilt my stands, but yours surely takes the crown Angel. With a center support on a 4footer even. That stand will support way more weight than your house construction will Well, better overbuilt then underuilt.

My next stand for the 8footer tank that I want (some day) I'm probably going to make out of 3/4 plywood, sandwiched and ribbed in critical areas.

Earthmother, while it maybe strong make sure it is not warped and the tank can sit flush on that table.

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
Oh wow. I thought I overbuilt my stands, but yours surely takes the crown Angel. With a center support on a 4footer even. That stand will support way more weight than your house construction will Well, better overbuilt then underuilt.

My next stand for the 8footer tank that I want (some day) I'm probably going to make out of 3/4 plywood, sandwiched and ribbed in critical areas.

Earthmother, while it maybe strong make sure it is not warped and the tank can sit flush on that table.
Yeah, I know. With my stand I thought of the future. And figured if I ever wanted to do bigger I can add on to the stand and still support a bigger tank.

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com