Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-02-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 711
Sturdy enough for a stand?

Not that I *need* to set up another tank but if the option's available......🤔
Have a 36L x 24W x 30H table built from pressure treated 2x4s just sitting in the outside storage unit and I'm wondering if this would hold a 30g tank. Really don't want to recaulk the 55g to reuse it but the 35g is just too small for all that I wanted to use it for - **** goodeid breed like rabbits. Any thoughts or suggestions for making this work?
__________________

__________________
earhtmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
V227's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,279
A decked out 30 gal. Tank is going to weigh approx. 300 lbs. You will have to test out the table and make your own decision.
__________________

__________________
V227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Angellove78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hart,mi.
Posts: 1,649
I like to use 4X4's for legs. (On the inside) under the 4 corners of the tank, and in the middle. Think as long as you brace it and it's built right, you'll be fine. Back in the day. My parents had a 30g and the stand was made of 2X4's. It's just gotta be built strong. 2X4's all around the top and bottom attached to the legs. And reinforced on the inside. And with long screws. I made this one to hold my 75g. Just to give ya an idea. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1617.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	306816Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1631.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	306817
__________________
Angellove78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Angellove78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hart,mi.
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angellove78 View Post
I like to use 4X4's for legs. (On the inside) under the 4 corners of the tank, and in the middle. Think as long as you brace it and it's built right, you'll be fine. Back in the day. My parents had a 30g and the stand was made of 2X4's. It's just gotta be built strong. 2X4's all around the top and bottom attached to the legs. And reinforced on the inside. And with long screws. I made this one to hold my 75g. Just to give ya an idea. Attachment 306816Attachment 306817
The way the 2X4's are on the bottom are same as the top under those top boards.
__________________
Angellove78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,158
Angel- you could land a small aircraft on that bad boy hahah
Earth- post a picture, if it built well and 2x4 material it should be fine
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Angellove78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hart,mi.
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Angel- you could land a small aircraft on that bad boy hahah
Earth- post a picture, if it built well and 2x4 material it should be fine
Right! I don't mess around. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again. Lol! But yeah, if you can post a pic and see if it's nailed or screwed together that would help us to help you. But, I'm sure you get the idea either way. Long screws hold better. But long nails do alright too just depends on the build. Think my tank will either fall through the floor or leak first before my stand gives away. Think even if it fell through the floor the tank would break but the stand would be OK. Lol!
__________________
Angellove78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
agrasyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 400
Oh wow. I thought I overbuilt my stands, but yours surely takes the crown Angel. With a center support on a 4footer even. That stand will support way more weight than your house construction will Well, better overbuilt then underuilt.

My next stand for the 8footer tank that I want (some day) I'm probably going to make out of 3/4 plywood, sandwiched and ribbed in critical areas.

Earthmother, while it maybe strong make sure it is not warped and the tank can sit flush on that table.
__________________
Anton.

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Angellove78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hart,mi.
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
Oh wow. I thought I overbuilt my stands, but yours surely takes the crown Angel. With a center support on a 4footer even. That stand will support way more weight than your house construction will Well, better overbuilt then underuilt.

My next stand for the 8footer tank that I want (some day) I'm probably going to make out of 3/4 plywood, sandwiched and ribbed in critical areas.

Earthmother, while it maybe strong make sure it is not warped and the tank can sit flush on that table.
Yeah, I know. With my stand I thought of the future. And figured if I ever wanted to do bigger I can add on to the stand and still support a bigger tank.
__________________

__________________
Angellove78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed on where to get a quality, sturdy 20 gallon fish tank stand Marble128 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 1 12-05-2016 12:29 PM
Need Sturdy Tank Lid. Help! ownedbycats Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 05-02-2012 03:58 PM
not sure if tank is sturdy enough? Jarrett Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 5 03-01-2011 04:19 PM
Sturdy stand for a new 10 gallon (on carpet) ? thinksincode Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 37 07-31-2006 07:19 PM
Do you need a good sturdy tripod? reefrunner69 Show Off/Photography 1 09-24-2005 06:35 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×