Submersible Heater - Whats with the Line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joedarat

Aquarium Advice Activist
My jager heater, and also my old heater (came with all-glass kit) have a "do not pass" line on them. keeping the dial above water level .. Ive read a few posts and see a few pics where the recommended placement is horizontal and down at the bottom of the tank. I understand the logic but isn't that dangerous?

Well,

I'll take a stab at it at least:

I'll assume you do not pass the line for the sheer fact that other than teh glass tubing is concerned, anytime that heater of any type has a dial, there is a pivot point that cannot be 100% sealed from water.

I imagine over time that trace minerals in teh water, let alone the water itself would seep into ANY crack or seam in a heater. I would then imagine that once the elements made contact with the water the results would be catastrophic...like those movies where they drop a hair dryer or a toaster in a bathtub....instant death to your fish, not to mention blown fuses in your house.

Just my speculation though :roll:

well the one i got with mine has a min water line saying dont let the water fall below the line.the heat will cause it to crack.i have mine fully under water and it say sumersable

Without seeing your heater, I"ll take a stab at answering too :wink:

Are you sure it's a submersible heater? Submersible heaters usually say "minimum water line" , meaning that they must be submerged at least up to that line.

But if it says something like "do not pass", you probably have a non-submersible heater. Do you still have the box or anything that came with it? It probably says something like "do not submerse" above that line. So you must keep the water level no higher than that line, or else you might have disasterous consequenses like jaysono mentioned. 8O

If you have a submersible heater, that means you can put the whole heater, dial, and cord into the water. That's the type of heater you can position it horizontally at the bottom of the tank if you want. But it doesn't seem like you have that type of heater.

I have submersible heaters, and I have the whole heater, dial, and about 3 or 4 inches of cord in the water. Since you can't submerse your heater below that water line, if the dial sticking out of the water is a problem with closing your hood, you could get a submersible heater. I have the new Visitherm Stealth heaters.

Actually, it's a good idea to have a spare heater on hand if one breaks. (If I had listened to my own advice, I would not have had to make a mad dash to the hatchery one Sunday! Now I have like 3 spare heaters, lol.) You could use the Visitherm and keep the non-submersible for a spare. Here's a link on the Stealth heater. They are on sale now at DrsFosterSmith:

Stealth Heaters

ok , im an idiot . but just to make sure.. confirm if this is right..

this is exaclty what it looks like:

the line says : "Do not immerse beyond water level"
this is the line ---------------water level--------------

so, if my brain is working right.. that means that the water level should be at the line or above it! .. not below.. meaning I can infact place it horizontally at the bottom.. i think, right?

bah, i am an idiot. immerse means submerge. so i cant do it captain!!! i dooont have the pooower.

Don't talk about yourself that way, lol!

So, it does seem that you cannot put your heater in the water below that line -- you have a non-submersible heater.

OK...hmmm...it is under the "submersible" category and it says completely waterproof. Does the picture look like what they sent you? Is it possible that they sent you another one by mistake? I've never had this brand -- I will look around the internet and see if I can find another description.

so i got screwed??? check this out.. i bought it from bigals online under the category "Submersible"

Me too. So don't feel bad. I just ordered a new heater from Big-Als. A visitherm. As much as I like the ebo-jagers, I need something submersible. I was rather perturbed when I got mine and saw it gave the a water line warning. Although, I have had it underwater before I read that line, and it is fine so far.... *crosses fingers*

Next time, go with a visi-therm. I love mine. :roll:

yes , it looks exactly like the pic, so bigal needs to update. thanks for advice , Ill go with visi-therem next time.

Here are some other links:

DrsFosterSmith

That Pet Place

The DrsFosterSmith description says "completely submersible to water line" which means that you can't put the heater in any lower than that water line. That Fish Place says (scroll down) that the unit is not completely submersible. Is that your heater? It's an Ebo-Jager and yours is Jager. I read somewhere that Ebo-Jagers are not made anymore.

So, hope this helps clear things up a little. It appears as though you cannot put this heater in the water below that line.

thanks everyone.. Im pretty sure Eheim bought the heaters from ebo-jager and kept the jager part.. so maybe Ill call bigals and eheim to make sure but according to what menagerie found, I can completely submerge the heater. Ill let you know what i find out. :D

I saw them in the store for the first time ever...but I bought a stealth heater instead...should've bought it online, but I needed it today.

I was just looking on my ebo-jager heater box and it reads, "waterproof heater" The picture on the box however, shows no 'water line' like the product in the box does. Could waterproof also mean submersible?

I had a similar fiasco some time ago. I ordered a heater under the 'submersible' category on a web page and then when I looked at the item on a different page, it said not to submerse it. I quickly cancelled the order, but when I asked about it, I got a few responses along this line.
I have the Ebo Jagers heaters and I submerse them, some people did some checking a while back and yes, it was more of a legal thing having to do with Canadian electrical standards or something, they are just fine submerged.

I don't know if you want to take that advice or not, but it might shed some light on the conflicting info you are getting.

Could waterproof also mean submersible?
no ... waterproof is very different. Waterproof means that up to the waterline, it is water tight and water cannot get into the unit. Submersible means that it is completely water resistant and is completely water tight, no water can get into the unit.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20758&item=4358641064&rd=1

There is an example of a submersible heater (IMO, these heaters one of of the best ever!)

Back
Top Bottom