submersible/out of sump return filter... pros & cons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok, so i have my 40g tank that is sitting around waiting to be transormed into a sump but i want to be sure i am on the right track the first time around. i had been planning on running two in sump pumps for my return but after having done some research, I am now debating on whether i should do the pump(s) outside of my sump. My biggest reason for this is the heat. I have a 55 fw tank that gets up there in the summer time and i figure i'll be running 3 175 MH on the 125g reef that i'm working on so heat will probably already be an issue as it is. I'm afraid that a couple of submersible pumps will just create more problems and i definitly don't have the cash for a chiller right now.

Are there any submersibles that will meet the flow req. of a 125g with dual overflow w/o heating the water excessively?

If i have to go with an out of sump pump what models do you suggest, and should i go with one pump or two?

How will my sump look after i do an outside pump? I was planning on this setup: Skimmer>Return<Fuge. Any links of ppl who have done this and have pics?

Lastly, what about noise? Ideally, i want the quietest setup possible, what do you suggest?

Thanks!!!!

If you go external, I could not see a reason to have more than one. You will have to have the glass tank drilled though. Externals can add heat as well.

Keep in mind that if you overflows are the Megaflo or all glass overflows, they are only rated at 600 gph each. They can be made to handle more but it does not take a huge pump to max one out. I think most run a 950 gph pump at about 4ft of head for a single overflow. An 1800 gph pump would not add a lot of heat, IMO. I run an external Mak4, 2 Mag7's, 3 Maxijets, a minijet and a SEIO 620 in my system. Tank temps are normally 3-5 deg above room temp at the end of the day with the MH's.

Back
Top Bottom