Submersible pump for external use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rasbora

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it ok to use submersible pump as external pump ?

I have unused submersible pump, I am thinking to use it for other purpose.

submersible = can be use under water or must be used under water ?

rich311k said:
Generally it means they have to be under water, the intake certainly has to be.

Thank you for quick response.

If I extend the intake using a hose and put the other end of the hose under water, is it possible to use the pump externally ?

Last edited:
It really depends on the individual pump. If I am not mistaken, most pumps sold as submersible need the surrounding body of water to cool themselves down. Running them externally could lead to severe overheating and a possible fire. Do you know the exact model of pump you're considering in this application?

The Danner Mag drive pumps are advertised as submersible or in-line. The do get surprisingly hot so be careful of the environment you put it in. Airflow is important to keep it as cool as possible.

Rutrag said:
It really depends on the individual pump. If I am not mistaken, most pumps sold as submersible need the surrounding body of water to cool themselves down. Running them externally could lead to severe overheating and a possible fire. Do you know the exact model of pump you're considering in this application?

Thank you for the explaination. The pump was originally from filter pump. I think it is only available here, in Japan. I think it is better to cancel my plan if there is a risk of fire.

Back
Top Bottom