Submersible water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been on forums for quite a while and yours is the first such claim I've seen. I think that says something about the rarity of such an occurrence. I change 80% and don't have that problem. And like i said, TONS of people don't experience losses.

I posted about this a few months back. My brave male panduro apisto was hanging out under the hose and I literally watched him go from aggressive to dead within a couple of minutes.

I've been on forums for quite a while and yours is the first such claim I've seen. I think that says something about the rarity of such an occurrence. I change 80% and don't have that problem. And like i said, TONS of people don't experience losses.

Ohhhh myyyy gooodnesss, not all tap water is created equal.. from all accounts I would not be surprised in the least if this occurred...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I'm well aware that all water is not the same. My point was how infrequent such claims are made.

I have killed fish accidentally when refilling a 50% water change on a 30 gallon tank with 30 gallons worth of Seachem prime already in the tank and the faucet cranked wide open. Now I slow down the faucet flow rate to 25% and everything is fine.

The problem is that aggressive or curious fish will put their face on the end of the hose for a few minutes and by the time they start to feel drowsy it is too late and they are as good as dead.

I'd have to say this is a first ever hearing this issue before. I dose my tank first then start the refill process. I have super nosy fish when it comes to the fill up and never encountered this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I'd have to say this is a first ever hearing this issue before. I dose my tank first then start the refill process. I have super nosy fish when it comes to the fill up and never encountered this.

You crank your faucet full blast? Maybe my house water pressure has more gallons per hour? Or my local water has more fish toxins...

I match the temperature to the tank which is never full blast. Perhaps you shocked them with a temperature change.

You crank your faucet full blast? Maybe my house water pressure has more gallons per hour? Or my local water has more fish toxins...

Yes I go full blast but to point out, pressure and gph are two different things. Pressure is the amount of force required to move an object and gph is the volume of a liquid moved in an hour. I believe it is the Bernoulli equation that is used to calculate this but that was 30 years ago. I know the water pressure on my street (because I'm a volunteer firefighter and needed for hydrant usage) is between 65 and 75 psi.

I agree, gallons per hour is a more relevant indicator of chlorine and chloramine inflow.

What is the chlorine or chloramine concentration in your local water?

How hard is your water?

Honestly, while I would never say it is impossible it seems unlikely your fish was killed from chlorine poisoning in such a short amount of time.

My water is very hard. My tap water is pH of about 7.6 to 7.7.

I don't know the chlorine chloramine concentration.

The death is clearly from poisoning, presumably from whatever is in the tap water which was not neutralized fast enough by Seachem prime due to the close proximity and prolonged exposure of the brave dominant male fish.

If you put a fish in tap water, how quickly does it die? I hear the toxins bind to hemoglobin so it sounds like rapid hypoxia and death, similar to humans and carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you put a fish in tap water, how quickly does it die? I hear the toxins bind to hemoglobin so it sounds like rapid hypoxia and death, similar to humans and carbon monoxide poisoning.

It likely depends on the concentration. In the local water here I have seen fish live for weeks or months depending on the fish in question. I have also seen fish start dying a few hours later.

We have chloramines where I am. I am not sure if they are more or less toxic than chlorine.

We have chloramines where I am. I am not sure if they are more or less toxic than chlorine.

One difference is that chlorine will dissipate fairly quickly in water exposed to air (e.g. in a bucket), but chloramines lasts much longer.

While you're considering fish health don't forget the beneficial bacteria. I've often wondered how much effect tap water introduced in a tank can have on it before Prime neutralizes it. Note I am not saying it has a negative effect, just that it makes me wonder.

One difference is that chlorine will dissipate fairly quickly in water exposed to air (e.g. in a bucket), but chloramines lasts much longer.

While you're considering fish health don't forget the beneficial bacteria. I've often wondered how much effect tap water introduced in a tank can have on it before Prime neutralizes it. Note I am not saying it has a negative effect, just that it makes me wonder.
The tank can undergo a mini cycle if the tap water kills part of your biofilter. This has happened to me where an established tank with 0 ammonia for 6 months and no antibiotics suddenly gets an ammonia spike. I checked the water when I noticed one fish with clamped fins.

Don't let new tap water enter your biofilter.

Many of us wash our media in tap water, with absolutely no discernible negative impact. The bacteria are by far the most resilient life forms in your tank.

I am not on a meter, I just pay a fixed water bill, I would never do a massive water change anyway, it's not good for the fish, I put my de-chlorinator in as my python is filling, never have the pump on while filling, I have never lost a fish this way..........

The only time a massive water change would not be good for the fish is if the water parameters are way off, as a result of insufficient amount and/or frequency of water changes. Otherwise, it's perfectly safe....though you are free to never do one.

I am not on a meter, I just pay a fixed water bill, I would never do a massive water change anyway, it's not good for the fish, I put my de-chlorinator in as my python is filling, never have the pump on while filling, I have never lost a fish this way..........

Highly debatable statement about massive WC's not being good for fish. In actuality I would lean more towards saying that you couldn't be more wrong except in cases as Aqua has pointed out where large parameter changes could be influential with problems. In very many cases, large volume WC's are a necessity in order to grow out fish to their maximum potential. As well, they allow for removal of the "bad things" that wind up festering in the tank which in turn promote disease and death.

Here's some info that will help you understand better about WC's.

http://www.fishtanksandponds.co.uk/aquarium-science/fishgrowth-tanksize.html

http://www.zestweb.com/articles/water/water.html

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/disease-fw.html

Hope these help clear up your theory of WC's.

Regular Partial Water Changes (the word here is Partial I said Massive) thanks for your concern

Nothing is more important when it comes to aquarium maintenance than regular partial water changes. The adage “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” certainly applies here.

One frequently reads of products that will reduce the need for water changes. Chemical media (carbon and such) may adsorb, absorb or change certain pollutants, but there is a finite limit to this and in some cases the pollutants return to the aquarium water in a different form that is still harmful. Some forms of bacteria will also release these adsorbed pollutants back into the water. And such chemical media frequently also adsorb beneficial nutrients which further worsens the state of the aquarium. Water changes also replenish essential substances such as minerals and ions. In the final analysis, there is no amount of filtration with any media that can duplicate the benefit of a regular partial water change. Everything that goes into an aquarium remains there in some form until we remove it.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...r-partial-water-changes-117205/#ixzz3HAqLlKso

Back
Top Bottom