Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Submersible water pump

What is a good brand of a water pump to suck up water To simplify water changes? Thanks

Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

[Insert your name here]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
[Insert your name here]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Errr...... Not to sure what that means.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you looked into the Python? Might be a better solution than a pump.

But if you want a pump there are tons of submersible pumps. Something like this maybe?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
Have you looked into the Python? Might be a better solution than a pump.

But if you want a pump there are tons of submersible pumps. Something like this maybe?

I don't agree on this one. A python needs a water supply to create the suction to draw from the tank. Therefore it uses more "available" water. If it is a well, it could be the difference between a shower or a birdbath. If it is city water, it will only raise the water and sewer bill since most city water supplies and sewer usage are based on the actual consumption rate of incoming water. The only time this does not affect the incoming and sewer bill together is if you have a deduct meter installed. From what I hear, not many communities are fond of installing them as it cuts down on revenue in one form or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I went to a Northern Tool and found a pond pump, and use it to both stir RODI water when I add minerals to it (just drop it in the bucket), and then to pump it up to the display tank.

Only problem is the nice small $10 ones often have a low head pressure, i.e. they won't pump more than 4-6' high. Check that first. But they have cheap ones. Similar on Amazon, etc. Look for "pond pump".

Here's the one I used: here

On a larger tank that I needed about 8' of head and more volume I actually used an old boat bilge pump. It's 12V so you need an adapter (though if you have DIY LED's you may already have one), but the are waterproof, designed to not be damaged by running dry (at least briefly), have a decent but not huge flow rate, and often you can find them used cheap/free.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
I don't agree on this one. A python needs a water supply to create the suction to draw from the tank. Therefore it uses more "available" water. If it is a well, it could be the difference between a shower or a birdbath. If it is city water, it will only raise the water and sewer bill since most city water supplies and sewer usage are based on the actual consumption rate of incoming water. The only time this does not affect the incoming and sewer bill together is if you have a deduct meter installed. From what I hear, not many communities are fond of installing them as it cuts down on revenue in one form or another.
It absolutely uses more water up. No doubt about it. For me, the nominal increase in my water bill is well worth the convenience of being able to drain and vacuum straight down the drain all at once and then refill with the same hose.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Question: Would smaller diameter tubing increase pump head height? I'm thinking that thinner tubing would mean less water, thus less weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Question: Would smaller diameter tubing increase pump head height? I'm thinking that thinner tubing would mean less water, thus less weight.
Generally speaking no, it's about pressure not weight. There may be some limited effect in extreme cases, but generally no.

And it is hard to find one with high head pressure without getting high volume (and cost).

I use 5G buckets and put a top on one, and set the other on it, to speed up the transfer. For my tiny quarantine tank I do the opposite, leave it flat on the floor so I get really low flow and it is less of a disturbance. Unfortunately our big tank was just too tall and I had no flow at all (which is when I got a bilge pump for it, and I happened to have a 12V power supply already there for LED's, so I just added a jack for it).
Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Thanks for the reply; was just curious. I only have 20g tanks so buckets are a big deal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
ate, pump, submersible, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com