Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Just to clarify I am in no way assocated with aquariumguys. AquariumGuys is a sponsor here of AA that I am an admin of. My admin status is the reason for my name being asscoated with the post about the give away.

Many people are getting confused and think im assocated with the company. We want to make sure we are clear in that this is an aquariumguys giveaway run entierly by aquariumguys for AA members.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
my bad

Sorry dude. My mistake.

dax29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Re: not close to sink

Originally Posted by dax29
Is it bad to take chlorinated water directly from the faucet and put it in the fish tank?
Not at all .... just put the dechlor in the tank the same time you put the tap water in. <Some people will skip the dechlor completely for small amounts or water - say 5% or less.>

To prime my siphon to take water out of the tank, I simply use a self priming gravel vac. All I need to do is to get the water column across the tank rim, & it flows down hill from there. (I have to go across the room about 10', then out a window - with a low sill).

If there isn't anything that requires you to route your hose above the fish tank ... this should work. Otherwise a small pump might be easier than trying to suck tank water .... You won't need much of a pump if all you are doing is to move water downhill.
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
water changes

Thanks again!
dax29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I hate water changes too, so check out my page to see how I solved it:

Now, you don't have an unfinished room behind your tank with a utility sink like I do. But the Magdrive pumps can handle lots of "head," meaning the distance the water must be pumped up before it goes down. I love the idea of using the bathroom tub to hold the water out and drain it. Guess you could also use the bathroom tub to hold the water in too, so you can dechlorinate it. Are you sure there isn't a removable fitting on that sink faucet that is hiding the threads? The thing you see is probably just screwed onto the threads, so you can remove it?

If you can set up a holding tank somewhere, I highly recomend it. It is sweet to have heated, dechlorinated water to pump in. If a holding tank is not an option, than get a python hooked up. If the faucet really has no threads, change it! Probably cheeper to change the faucet than buy a pair of magdrive pumps.
TomK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If you can reach a garden hose to the hose or python( mine is a 50 footer) you can start the siphon just by turning on the garden hose to start the flow. With a 50 foot python you may be able to reach a sink for fill and drain. You adjust the faucet temp to match your tank temp. Put in enough declor to treat the whole tank, then fill. If a 50 footer is not long enough, you can get more hose and fittings to extend it at your local home imorovement center.
Doran Hayes
BASSNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:14 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have two 125 gallon tanks and change water almost daily in one of them. I bought a submersible pump from jehmco for under $40. It attaches to a garden hose and drains out a window or door. It will drain half of a 125 in less then 5 minutes. To fill I use the python and add dechlor. You can buy a python with 100ft of tubing. That should be enough to reach any water supply in your home.

Carrying buckets of water around is like starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together.

BrianNY is offline   Reply With Quote

pump, submersible, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com