Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

submersible water pump for water changes

Has anyone here had any experience using a submersible water pump for water changes? I'm planning on getting a 75 gallon tank, and water changes become somewhat of an issue. I'd like to put a submersible, electric pump in the tank and pump the water directly to a holding tank. I would then like to put the same pump in my holding tank where I plan to dechlorinate my new water and pump it into the tank. I've been hauling water by hand and dumping it in by hand with my 29 gallon. I do a 25-30% water change every 1 - 2 weeks. I'm trying to get all my logistics planned out before I even buy the 75 gallon. My tank will be quite far from any sink or other water drain. Will Rubbermaid or Sterlite containers work as holding tanks for water I'm trying to dechlorinate for a water change? I'd like to put the tanks on a little cart to wheel around the house b/c 30 gallons of water is too heavy even for me to carry.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Will any of these pumps work?

http://www.petsolutions.com/Info.aspx?id=30

I'll bet Lowes or Home Depot has submersible water pumps.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Don't know if this will work for you -

To remove water from the tank I simply use a siphon & dump the water out the nearest window <watering my flower box at the same time!>. I bought a 20' tubing to attach to the gravel vac from HD so it will reach.

To fill the tank, I find that a 1" gravel vac fits my tap exactly. I just fit that over the tap & run a 20' tubing to the tank. The tubing for the 1" gravel vac is only 1/4", so the flow rate is pretty slow (about 1/2 hr to do a 15 gal change). But that just gives me time to tidy up the tank while it is being filled .... plus slowly introducing new water should be less stressful to fish....

If you have a threaded tap nearby, you can use a regular water hose with threaded fittings <use one rated for drinking water - eg. for RV use> for filling. Also, you can use a python to fill & drain the tank. That will fit over regular taps & I think it comes in 50' length ... & I think you can make it even longer by attaching additional hose if needed.

I think that using a hose is certainly easier than carting around tubs of water! <considering that 30 gal of water is 250lb!>
Old 03-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you considered getting a Python? That way, you could gravel vac and remove water at the same time. The python can also be used to refill the tank. I just add the correct dose of declorinator as the tank is refilling.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong
Don't know if this will work for you -
To remove water from the tank I simply use a siphon & dump the water out the nearest window <watering my flower box at the same time!>.

Pretty much the same as what I do, except I place the pump in the tank and pump the old water into the bathtub (I'm pretty sure SW would kill the grass if I pumped it out the window but that was my first idea). I then wheel a large plastic garbage can into the room and put the pump in that, pumping the new water into the tank.

I hear you, man. Carrying buckets of water around the house is for the birds.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I use a maxijet 1200 and a long lenght of 1/2" IO tubing. I use the maxijet to pump water out of the tank into buckets. Then I use the same maxijet and tubing to pump water from the buckets with new water into the tank. No lifting of buckets above ones head and you minimize the amount of water spilt around the tank. The maxijet 1200 will be good for head heights of 6' or less. If you need to pump water up higher than 6' I would suggest one of the Mag drive pumps. Base the size of the Mag on how high you need to pump the water up to the tank. I would still do a maxijet to pump water out of the tank.

The python is the ultimate in water change tools for FW folks. Its absolutly zero lifting of buckets but will use more water since it attaches to your sink and uses flowing water as a syphon action when pulling water out of the tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

not close to sink

The only place my wife will let me put another tank is upstairs in the playroom. There is no sink close by. The bathroom faucet fittings are not threaded. The only window is directly over the deck. I could run one pump with a long hose directly to the nearest bathroom (25 ft away) and use the same pump to pump water back to the tank. Is it bad to take chlorinated water directly from the faucet and put it in the fish tank?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe I'll take a look at running enough hose out of the upstairs window to bypass the deck. How do you get the hose primed? I could also get the right sized hose for my bathroom faucet and put a clamp on it, and then run the water directly into the tank from the faucet like jsoong said. All the ideas I've received are great and I appreciate the input. I seem to overlook the obvious solutions that don't escape you guys.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Pumping 25' will be drastic for a simple powerhead. You will need a fairly robust pump to do that with any sense of speed.

I know how I would prime a line if I was to drain it off the deck. I would secure one end in the tank real good and then I would suck on the other end with a good strong pull and then hang the hose off the deck. That should get the water up and over the edge of the tank and flowing thru the hose.

Does the bathroom have only a sink and toilet? If it has a tub you can fill a few buckets with water from the tub faucet and then transport the buckets to the tank for your water changes. Pour the duirty water down the tub's drain or run your hose into the tub.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

toting water

I'm gonna use the faucet to pump the water to the tank. The idea about sucking the water down to the deck is probably what I will end up doing. I registered for the $150.00 giveaway. I hope you got it. I hope I get it.

Tags
pump, submersible, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com