Substrate for planted tank - Cory Catfish friendly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMG_0431.jpg

Baby steps. Out with the gravel and plastic plants.
In with the sand and live plants.
My first attempt using both.
Any thoughts?

Literally used what ?

I'm told to avoid soil with wetting agents, perlite, added fertilizer and to make sure it's Organic Potting Soil, not Potting Mix.

For beginners my club always recommends Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil after sifting for large bits.

I'm sure there are many other things you can use.

But digging up dirt for an aquarium , without knowing about pesticides, metals or other content scares me. I prefer known and well documented substrates.

well as long as you know there arent weird fertilizers or poisons in it, you could use anything, not just store bought stuff. I found missouri clay is absolutely amazing for aquariums.

Literally used what ?

I'm told to avoid soil with wetting agents, perlite, added fertilizer and to make sure it's Organic Potting Soil, not Potting Mix.

For beginners my club always recommends Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil after sifting for large bits.

I'm sure there are many other things you can use.

But digging up dirt for an aquarium , without knowing about pesticides, metals or other content scares me. I prefer known and well documented substrates.
If you use unknown soil, you can avoid a lot of the contaminants problem by doing one or two 24hr soaks in water before you put it in the tank. Any water-soluble contaminants will go into the water during that time, so if you combine that with sifting the soil to remove any larger particles you don't want (organic debris or glass or whatever) you should be fine. Maybe UV light or boil it to sterilize it if you're worried about upsetting the microbial community in your tank.

I use the soaking process at work all the time on newly made equipment & whatnot, the zooplankton I study are extremely sensitive to contaminants but I haven't had a culture fail yet (due to those reasons anyways....)

If you use unknown soil, you can avoid a lot of the contaminants problem by doing one or two 24hr soaks in water before you put it in the tank. Any water-soluble contaminants will go into the water during that time, so if you combine that with sifting the soil to remove any larger particles you don't want (organic debris or glass or whatever) you should be fine. Maybe UV light or boil it to sterilize it if you're worried about upsetting the microbial community in your tank.

I use the soaking process at work all the time on newly made equipment & whatnot, the zooplankton I study are extremely sensitive to contaminants but I haven't had a culture fail yet (due to those reasons anyways....)

Im new to this, so forgive me for my ignorance. When you say "soil", you are talking about a dirt tank? I dont know anything about it. Sound intimidating and scary. I bout the "Eco-Complete" substrate and "Tahitian Moon" sand for the top layer. I haven't set up the tank yet, so if potting soil or dirt is a better way to go, i can easily change up. Just dont know enough about it. Im very grateful for your post though. I definitely want to do best i can. I am in no rush to get it filled. Well, i am, but im more interested in doing it right, so i want to dot all my I's and cross all my T's before i pull the trigger and start cycling it.
I will probably end up being one of those guys who is never quite satisfied with the gear he has, and ends up with a room full of stuff and an empty tank in the corner.
Any info you can share is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Ah! My bad, that was a translation to English fail. I meant substrates like sand and gravel, not dirt. If you bought aquarium sand though you shouldn't need to do that-- that's mostly for if you ever want to try adding "wild" substrate.
Im new to this, so forgive me for my ignorance. When you say "soil", you are talking about a dirt tank? I dont know anything about it. Sound intimidating and scary. I bout the "Eco-Complete" substrate and "Tahitian Moon" sand for the top layer. I haven't set up the tank yet, so if potting soil or dirt is a better way to go, i can easily change up. Just dont know enough about it. Im very grateful for your post though. I definitely want to do best i can. I am in no rush to get it filled. Well, i am, but im more interested in doing it right, so i want to dot all my I's and cross all my T's before i pull the trigger and start cycling it.
I will probably end up being one of those guys who is never quite satisfied with the gear he has, and ends up with a room full of stuff and an empty tank in the corner.
Any info you can share is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Ah! My bad, that was a translation to English fail. I meant substrates like sand and gravel, not dirt. If you bought aquarium sand though you shouldn't need to do that-- that's mostly for if you ever want to try adding "wild" substrate.

No thats fine. I have seen the dirt tanks and heard that was the best way to go for planted aquariums. Its just daunting.

Back
Top Bottom