Such a thing as TOO much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Morticus said:
Just curious.

Only if you want low-light corals etc in your tank. Even then you can put them under a ledge. The biggest drawback to large amounts of light is keeping the temperature under control.

I think it is not good.
I mean, too much light for plants living outside is not good for them cuz they would get fried, same with water plants and things right?

People get sunburns, wouldnt fish?

zacdl said:
I think it is not good.
I mean, too much light for plants living outside is not good for them cuz they would get fried, same with water plants and things right?

People get sunburns, wouldnt fish?

Well what are we talking about here? 100 wpg? Yep... too much :wink: As I said, there are low light corals and such that would require a ledge or lower light area.

6 - 8 wpg or more for the most demanding species is reasonable.

don't forget that most of the species we keep are collected in pretty shallow waters and there is no light that compares to the intensity of the sun.

even though things are in fairly shallow water, I am sure most are deeper than 18-36 inches from the surface. I don't think that super high light would be any better than super low light.

But if anyone wants to go this route, I have two 1000 watt metal halide, 20k light pendants for sale........very few hours on them.

I have close to 8.5 watts pg with no problems. Just move the stuff around to different areas ofthe tank. IMO

I have a friend that has 500W worth of halides 10" from the surface of the water in a 55-gal tank with sps in it. They have to be put on the bottom of the tank on eggcrate because they weren't doing well up higher on the rocks. He bought the lights for an 110-gal upgrade he knew he was getting sooon.

Back
Top Bottom