Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Such thing as a bad tank brand?

Hello all,

New to the hobby. Bought the 20g kit by aquion at Petco a few months back. I obviously want a bigger tank now....Iím wondering if there is such thing as a bad tank brand, or one I should stay away from? Iíd like to get a 55g, but I feel like if I do, I will end up wishing I had gone to a 75....

Old 12-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Personally I have not purchased enough (different brand) tanks to give you a credible answer. Iím sure there are opinions and direct experiences out there regarding this.
As for the 55 vs 75, it may depend on what you want to keep. Similar footprint (48Ē) but the 75 is 5Ē more front to back.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yea I have not quite decided yet what I want to keep other than I want to do planted this time.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

More than brand, overall would be to keep an eye on the workmanship and quality in the tanks.

The thickness of the glass compared with another brand/tank of same gallon size and foot print.

Caulking work. Even distribution and meeting of ends, etc.

Braces on the tank at the top where the lids are of course, those are easy to see. Remember to check the bottom of the tank as well.

If you happen to be buying a used tank watch the trim to make sure braces and frame/rims are not broken or cracked.

A side note for reptile tanks, are that often they are not as thick of glass as an aquarium because they aren't specifically made to hold water, or a full tank of water at least.

As for specific brands I can't say for sure. I have observed one tank may be much better caulked than the one sitting next to it from the same brand. Usually found in the budget types.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com