Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #11

But the stick ong thermometers dpn't evan touch the water. The real question would be how well glass conducts or insulates heat.

Don't buy a stick-on thermometer, no reason to when there are multiple options that actually touch the water.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I also have one of each at opposite ends of my 30 gallon long tank and both readt the same as each other all the time. They are cheap enough I say buy one of each and see for yourself which you prefer, I mean it has to be the cheapest thing you can buy for the tank.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
But the stick ong thermometers dpn't evan touch the water. The real question would be how well glass conducts or insulates heat.

Don't buy a stick-on thermometer, no reason to when there are multiple options that actually touch the water.
From a science teacher's perspective ... the suction cup thermometer will be more accurate because it's in direct contact with the water. Naturally the stick on is really reading the glass temperature ... which in most cases will be close to the water temp .. but will be slightly off.

Heat travels from warm to cool, and glass will conduct this heat back and forth. If the outside air temp is warmer than your aquarium, the heat is conducted from the air through the glass into your water ... so at that point it the stick on is really reading the outside glass temp more than the water temp, When the aquarium is warmer, the stick on is reading more of the water temp.

For what it's worth ... I just have the stick on that came with the tank ... It's close enough since we keep the ambient air at a stable temp.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would just go with the stick on they are easier to read and there is not enough of a difference to matter. It's not like you have to have the temp at exactly 78 or your fish will die.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #15

k thanks everyone ill get a stick on bc i like how theyre easier to read but ill put my current suction cup one on every now and then to make sure it's accurate.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It will be accurate. No reason to worry. Stick on thermometers work just fine.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 3 types of thermometers n my 125g and they all read the same temp.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
It isn't about the glass at all. The glass is the only thing constant. It is what is better at transmitting heat to the glass - the ambient air, or the water inside. Based on thermal dynamics, it's the water (like I said, water is a better conductor of thermal energy than air).
Old 05-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

In case further proof is needed, who are 2 photos taken within seconds of each other, just now.

The first, the stick on thermometer is registering 74F

The second, an in tank thermometer, is registering 73.5F

Sorry, I know the quality isn't good... but as you can see, the thermometers register almost the identical temperature (within ˝ of 1 degree).
Old 05-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't like the stick on kind. I've never had any luck with them. But I also have no luck with the inside tank thermometers either. Only a few of mine are accurate, even if they are the same brand! I need to invest in more expensive ones one of these days. Mostly, I use my hands!

Tags
cup, ick, thermometer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com