Sufficient Filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deluxechev

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a Master AQ Test Kits because I’ve lost confidence in my test strips. I got to talking with the fish shop owner over by my work and he is suggesting that I get another filter for my tank. My local fish store owner who sold my setup has led me to believe I’m just fine. Who do I believe?

I’m running a 60 gallon tank with ten medium sized African Cichlids and 4 rainbow Boesemani Rainbows. I’ve got a sand base and run a Cascade canister filter rated at 100 gallons. I’ve had this set up running for about a year. I’m currently in the process of stabilizing my pH(separate post).

Anyone run this canister with Cichlids?

i think meredith has a cascade filter, not sure the model nut she seems to like it. Filtration is another good debate that occurs on this site. You'll read anywhere from 3x turnover (per hour) all the way up to 10+x per hour. It really just depends on your fish load, (which doesn't seem too high) your maintenance and your budjet. More filtration is never a bad thing but not always needed. you could try adding a medium aquaclear hob or if you don't want an hob try in internal filter like the fluvol 1,2,3 or 4. I'll be addin the 4 to my setup once I have more fish in my tank (75gal)

Why do you think you need more filtration? Do you see any signs of fish distress or unusually frequent illnesses or death? How often do you perform partial water changes? Increasing the volume or frequency of water changes may fix whatever problem you may have.

I'm not familiar with your particular filter but I believe that the number of gallons per hour you filter should be at least in the five to seven times range (assuming you don't over stock your tank). I even have a 30 gallon tank with a Penguin BIO-Wheel 330 (that is rated at 11x). It frequently makes sense to add a HOB filter as a secondary filter to your canister filter. This not only can be used for water polishing, but if something happens to your canister filter you still have filtration going on.

manufacturers gph rating are given with the filter empty. for example the penguin bio-wheel 330 claims 330pgh but is closer to half that with media in it. that would mean approx. 165gph. but what was said about pwc more frequent or bigger pwc will help too.

I think it all depends on what and how much you feed your cichlids. They are generally dirty fish and do better with a canister filter, but use your judgement. Swish around your gravel and see how dirty your tank really is. People at pet stores can be very helpful, but if it is an independant store, remember that the guy behind the counter might be trying to make a buck off you. If it were me, I would use a canister. (Fluval)
I have a magnum 350 deluxe on my 110g saltwater tank and that runs excellently! :eek:

megos1 said:
I think it all depends on what and how much you feed your cichlids. They are generally dirty fish and do better with a canister filter, but use your judgement. Swish around your gravel and see how dirty your tank really is. People at pet stores can be very helpful, but if it is an independant store, remember that the guy behind the counter might be trying to make a buck off you. If it were me, I would use a canister. (Fluval)
I have a magnum 350 deluxe on my 110g saltwater tank and that runs excellently! :eek:

I agree with Megos1. :D

Back
Top Bottom