Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Suggested Timer?

Any suggestions on a good timer? I purchased a dual outlet Brinks timer from Walmart, however, it's not functioning the way I intended. My T5 fixture has 3 different plugs. I was thinking maybe the Coralife?

Old 11-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Droneshooter
I just bought a cheap one outlet timer and plugged a power strip into it haven't given me any problems yet

Old 11-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can you elaborate? I'm little confused as to how you managed to have all of your plugs functioning...
Old 11-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

We'll there's two outlets on a normal wall outlet one has a power strip which runs my pump heaters power heads
The other one has my timer plugged into it and I have a power strip plugged into that for my lights
Old 11-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm sorry. There must something I don't understand. If I were to plug my power strip into the timer outlet, it still wouldn't be able to turn on my lights at different times. There's 4 total lights, each is connected to 2 different sets of plugs, the white + blue and the blue +blue. I don't see how it would work the way your describing.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh lol my bad I just have two t5 fixtures and they both come on and go off at the same time
Old 11-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I understand that! Mine is just different. So I need two separate and individually timed outlets. I'm just going to have to buy a Coralife power center I suppose.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard a lot of bad reviews with those timed powerstrips. How many total plugs do you need on timers and of those how many do you need on different times?

The mechanical wall timers are the most reliable. I use two. One for blue and one for white. 2 cables for blues go into one and 2 white cables go into the other. If you have more plugs than fit on the timer just plug lights into powerstrip and then powerstrip into timer.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been using the reptile timer strips for a while now, as well as your typical plug in light timer. I hate them both. Sometimes the time decides to not work and throws off the schedule. That's the least of my issues, my BIGGEST complaint is the incessant plastic grinding noises they make while operating. All of my systems are completely silent, and the timers ruin that tranquility. I'm seriously considering shelling out the dough for the digital timers just to avoid the audio irritation.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

My mechanical timers are silent. I only hear them when they click on . Got mine at lowes.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com