Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Suggestions for drilling and plumbing prop tank....

I currently have a 20g prop tank with I guess about 25 to 30lbs of Lr in it. I am not having a problem with water parimeters, or anything else, but I would like to get a new 20g or 3og and drill it and plumb it into the main for easier maintenance...top off...dosing..etc...

Now for the questions...

1. Can the standard tanks from walmart be drilled?

2. Where would be the best place to drill the hole?

3. Best size of hole?

4. The tank will be about 4 ft from the main and have a head height of 3 to 4 ft. What size pump would you use? Also keep in mind that the other tank is just around a corner...

I will probably take most of the lr out of the prop tank after I set this up but leave a little just in case of a power outage...Smart?

TIA!!!

Old 07-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Suggestions for drilling and plumbing prop tank....

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
1. Can the standard tanks from walmart be drilled?
Only if you're sure it's not tempered. Many tanks have tempered glass bottoms but not always the sides. You can use a <<dremel>> to cut the hole.

Code:
2. Where would be the best place to drill the hole?
Top left or right corner, whichever is more convenient based on the sump location. Unless your sure the bottom isn't tempered and then you can do it in a bottom corner which would be easiest for plumbing and aesthetics. Bottom drilling would require a corner overflow unless you installed a stand pipe.

Quote:
3. Best size of hole?
If drilled on the back top side, you are relying on gravity instead of the suction of an overflow so a little larger would work best. I would go ¬ĺ" (300ish GPH). You can then build a <<little overflow box>> around the bulkhead and glue it directly to the glass. It will prevent a "gurgling" noise and allow for a smoother flow of water. The hole size will also depend on if the return will be the sole source of flow. If no powerheads, you would want to go to a 1" bulkhead (600ish GPH)

Quote:
4. The tank will be about 4 ft from the main and have a head height of 3 to 4 ft. What size pump would you use? Also keep in mind that the other tank is just around a corner...
Are you pumping the return water from the main itself or a sump?
What are the main corals being propagated?

Quote:
I will probably take most of the lr out of the prop tank after I set this up but leave a little just in case of a power outage...Smart?
Up to you. Since there is little to no ammonia creation in a prop tank (no fish) the biofilter will be quite small. I would keep it simple and use basic surfaces (shelves,piping etc..) as biomedia, not rock.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great info Steve!! The overflow box is very cool..

Quote:
Are you pumping the return water from the main itself or a sump?
The water will be pumped from the sump. I have a mag 7 I could use. I would like for this to be my only source of flow.

Quote:
What are the main corals being propagated?
I currently have frags of leathers, digita, zoas, poylps, xenia, ect....I would like to prop any kind of coral...
Old 07-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I had a 20L drilled for a 1" bulkhead on the back corner as Steve-S described. I don't have the overflow bax but I will definately look into that! I have a Mag7 in my sump that supplies the water and it drains back into the sump. The Mag7 is all the 1" bulkhead can handle. I actually throttle mine back a bit so I can keep the water level about 1" from the trim.

I have a mini jet in the frag tank for extra flow. I T'd the return line to the frag tank for an easy way to do water changes as well Turn one valve off and the other on and filler up.

My sump and frag tank are in the basement so looks are not real important on my setup. I would be more than happy to give you some pics if you want.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pics Please!!!!!

They would help alot, Thanks.

PS. Where did you get your 20L?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
PS. Where did you get your 20L?
I was lucky on that respect. I traded a guy a couple of frags for his 20L. He was getting a bigger tank so he did not need it. I found a local reefer to drill it for free too

I'll take some pics tonight. PM me your email and I will email you pics. I can send you bigger pics via e-mail.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My LFS tried to drill one of the walmart tanks and it shattered.... Tempered glass on the 55 gallon tanks. Drilled the back of the tank ( or front)
I would call or email the company before drilling.
if you want a 1" bulkhead a 1 3/4" hole is needed.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the info all!

Ellisz: Great pics....NICE frags!!! Love it..

PS. I will keep you all posted.

Tags
plumbing, suggestions, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com