Suggestions For Replacement Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I everyone! I am new to this forum, but have been around aquariums for a long time.

I am starting up a 75 gallon TruVu acrylic tank (saltwater, going to be fish only) with a built in filter in the back with bio balls. Got a great deal on Craigslist. The only down side so far is that the pump did not work. It had a Rio 14HF that pushes 840 gals per hour. Seemed reasonable to replace it with the same thing, so I did. Problem is, it is really loud...hums loud enough that I can hear it from other rooms in the house.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something that pushes about the same, but that would be quiet? Several years back, I had a 100 gal with the same kind of filter set-up and it was almost silent.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

I've always used the little giant pump the 4 series pumps about 1,325 gph at a 1' head the 3 series pumps about 1,100 gph ata 1' head there between 155 and 200 dollars

I recomend a pentair lifegard 4000 hh to replace that pump ....I've used these pumps for all my tanks and they last a long time there quiet and reliable

If the pump is sitting directly on the bottom or touching the side of the tank it will transfer vibrations and cause excessive noise. I believe that pump comes with a bracket with rubber feet if they are missing try setting it on some filter floss or other or other sound insulating material. Also clean and check the impeller for and broken parts. I use Supreme Mag Drive Pumps

Back
Top Bottom