Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Suggestions For Replacement Pump

I everyone! I am new to this forum, but have been around aquariums for a long time.

I am starting up a 75 gallon TruVu acrylic tank (saltwater, going to be fish only) with a built in filter in the back with bio balls. Got a great deal on Craigslist. The only down side so far is that the pump did not work. It had a Rio 14HF that pushes 840 gals per hour. Seemed reasonable to replace it with the same thing, so I did. Problem is, it is really loud...hums loud enough that I can hear it from other rooms in the house.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something that pushes about the same, but that would be quiet? Several years back, I had a 100 gal with the same kind of filter set-up and it was almost silent.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I've always used the little giant pump the 4 series pumps about 1,325 gph at a 1' head the 3 series pumps about 1,100 gph ata 1' head there between 155 and 200 dollars

tonedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I recomend a pentair lifegard 4000 hh to replace that pump ....I've used these pumps for all my tanks and they last a long time there quiet and reliable
bskerrichard27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
If the pump is sitting directly on the bottom or touching the side of the tank it will transfer vibrations and cause excessive noise. I believe that pump comes with a bracket with rubber feet if they are missing try setting it on some filter floss or other or other sound insulating material. Also clean and check the impeller for and broken parts. I use Supreme Mag Drive Pumps
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

pump, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com