Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-22-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Trioracles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 153
Suggestions on putting on a background

I heard people use water , Vaseline, baby oil as an adhesive for the background to stick on the tank. I wanna use water because just in case if I ever decide I wanna take it off, I won't have a hard to cleaning the water off the glass. I DONT wanna use Vaseline or baby oil because my tank is pretty big, and I really don't wanna move it if I ever wanna take the background off and clean the glass.

Well my main question is, will water last? Will it peel off? Thx


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
080215 Yopoipoi, rest in peace. May the river of light guide your soul to the celestial waters above.
Trioracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Fresh2o's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 11,802
I just use clear tape on the edges.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
I am an ALGAE farmer.
Terms of Service | Community Rules | FresH2O's Planted Tank | Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank
Fresh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Vaseline????

If your tank is the standard glass with plastic frame then just simply cut the background to fit so that it tucks into the top and bottom frames, then simply tape it all along the frame, top and bottom, to keep it in place

the corners may need to be trimmed as often there is excess silicone in the corners of the frame, but it's still a lot easier and cleaner than smearing some goo all over the glass.

another alternative method if the background you are using is laminated/plasticoated, you could simply run a small bead of silicone around the outside edge of the background and adhere it to the back glass that way.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 537
I used olive oil and a window squeegee, that was 5 months ago, it still looks perfect.

It looks MUCH better if you have something like oil between the background and glass, try it with a small portion if you don't believe it.

Oil (or even vaseline) are easily removable if you change your mind, just wipe any excess then clean with windex.

PS. If you do this, you have to press VERY hard with the squeegee to get all the air out. Some people have better luck with a credit card or a CD case.
__________________
Linwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Tacit Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 472
What kind of background are you looking at? I have a "Ricepaper-Pattern Tinted Window Film" That just used a little bit of soapy water, and it seems to work just fine:



There's one spot where the HOB filter touches the back that has a darker marking, but other than that...
__________________
Tacit Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 13,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
I used olive oil and a window squeegee, that was 5 months ago, it still looks perfect.

It looks MUCH better if you have something like oil between the background and glass, try it with a small portion if you don't believe it.

Oil (or even vaseline) are easily removable if you change your mind, just wipe any excess then clean with windex.

PS. If you do this, you have to press VERY hard with the squeegee to get all the air out. Some people have better luck with a credit card or a CD case.

How much oil do you need to do this out of interest? Is it just a light coat.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
How much oil do you need to do this out of interest? Is it just a light coat.
Yes. Basically you want the (remember it's waterproof) background to have a very thin but complete layer when pressed to the glass. I just took a paper towel really wet with it, and wiped the whole thing down.

Note the background can be repositioned a bit as you put it (now wet) but it gets more and more stuck the more surface that touches, so get it aligned well along the top or bottom long way before you lay the rest on. It's not really stuck, i.e. you can pull it back off, but you can't slide it to get it in position.

And whatever you put it on with the glass should be absolutely clean with no grit - each piece of grit becomes a little air bubble that's very obvious.

By the way, they actually make a commercial equivalent of these oils people are mentioning. I haven't used it, and can't find the link, but it is the same principle -- something that won't readily dry up and is a liquid to hold it tight against the glass. What happens is this removes the air gap between; the air gap takes out lots of contrast and color.

If you want to see, take part of the background (or a spare old photo in color). Wet half with just water, and keep half dry, and squeegee it onto the side (where it's easy to remove) of a tank filled with water, and look at the difference in the two sections. You can't see as much difference in a tank without water.
__________________
Linwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 13,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
Yes. Basically you want the (remember it's waterproof) background to have a very thin but complete layer when pressed to the glass. I just took a paper towel really wet with it, and wiped the whole thing down.

Note the background can be repositioned a bit as you put it (now wet) but it gets more and more stuck the more surface that touches, so get it aligned well along the top or bottom long way before you lay the rest on. It's not really stuck, i.e. you can pull it back off, but you can't slide it to get it in position.

And whatever you put it on with the glass should be absolutely clean with no grit - each piece of grit becomes a little air bubble that's very obvious.

By the way, they actually make a commercial equivalent of these oils people are mentioning. I haven't used it, and can't find the link, but it is the same principle -- something that won't readily dry up and is a liquid to hold it tight against the glass. What happens is this removes the air gap between; the air gap takes out lots of contrast and color.

If you want to see, take part of the background (or a spare old photo in color). Wet half with just water, and keep half dry, and squeegee it onto the side (where it's easy to remove) of a tank filled with water, and look at the difference in the two sections. You can't see as much difference in a tank without water.

Hi, thanks for this - will have to give it a try! Would oil be better than Vaseline? Any thoughts?
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Hi, thanks for this - will have to give it a try! Would oil be better than Vaseline? Any thoughts?
I never tried Vaseline. I suspect it is a bit harder to get to spread easily and may last a bit longer, but that's supposition.
__________________

__________________
Linwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
background, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Substrate and Background Plant Suggestions FeldmansFish Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 10 11-26-2013 02:35 PM
Black background or Busy background?..... EdgarMedina1010 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 39 09-03-2006 12:31 PM
putting salt into tank- time before i test it ,to add more? boggerscott Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 02-03-2004 09:40 AM
putting out of misery skiltrip Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 4 07-25-2003 01:13 PM
putting fish in another tank? sjohnson44030 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 11-29-2002 05:42 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.