Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Aquaclear ATW!!
+1

I think for your tank size, AC would be a very good choice. I just replaced a Fluval HOB for the AC70 on my 46 gallon community and it's amazing at how quickly the AC cleared up that tank. And it's really quiet.

I used to have Penguins and had lots of issues with the biowheels not turning correctly. I won't have another Penguin in this lifetime.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

If you are looking for something dead silent I would go with a canister filter. I never used them until a few months ago when I set up my 75g. I got a Fluval 406 and it is quieter than my AC50 was on a good day. I can't hear it at all from a few feet away. The outflow is noisy when you let the water evap but that is the same with any filter.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why is your water evaporating so fast ?
Is your tank covered ?

A canister wont have the waterfall effect.
Or you can DIY a flow diverter it sends water out the sides or something to soften the flow.

I'll write more after work.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Why is your water evaporating so fast ?
Is your tank covered ?

A canister wont have the waterfall effect.
Or you can DIY a flow diverter it sends water out the sides or something to soften the flow.

I'll write more after work.
I run mine open top. The surface agitation it causes makes the noise, not the waterfall effect you speak of.

Let's keep this on topic, this isn't about my tank. I was just giving suggestions on filters. No need to write more later unless it is on topic.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

When it comes to external filter i love ehiem canisters. Have few of these.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the tank is not covered- it is a weird shape (almost like a "B" if you were looking down on it) and I dont think it came with a cover, but I didnt buy the tank so im not sure. So the water does evaporate, and from what i have researched the Penguin filters process alot of water quickly which adds to the problems of the filter
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
I run mine open top. The surface agitation it causes makes the noise, not the waterfall effect you speak of.

Let's keep this on topic, this isn't about my tank. I was just giving suggestions on filters. No need to write more later unless it is on topic.
Sorry, I thought Coursair was referring to my post.

If the tank is an odd shape you could get some plexi and cut it to fit. It will sag and yellow with time if you have a light real close to it though. That will drastically cut down on evaporation.

When I ran my AC50 I made an extension of the outflow to minimize the splashing sounds from the output of the filter. I initially used some filter floss and suspended it below the output so that it would trickle down to the water. I eventually used some plastic and fastened it to the outflow.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
Sorry, I thought Coursair was referring to my post.

If the tank is an odd shape you could get some plexi and cut it to fit. It will sag and yellow with time if you have a light real close to it though. That will drastically cut down on evaporation.

When I ran my AC50 I made an extension of the outflow to minimize the splashing sounds from the output of the filter. I initially used some filter floss and suspended it below the output so that it would trickle down to the water. I eventually used some plastic and fastened it to the outflow.

would you be able to post a picture of how you ooutfitted your tank on the outflow?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100570876 View Post
would you be able to post a picture of how you ooutfitted your tank on the outflow?
I have since sold the tank/filter but I'll look at my old phone when I get home from work, I think I have some pictures on it. If not I can ask my buddy who bought the tank to take a picture for me.

Tags
filter, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com