Suggestions on quiet and good filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

I have a 30 gallon tank (tall, not wide) that currently is running a Penguin 200 bio wheel filter. I find the filter is pretty good, but loud. I constantly have the waterfall effect coming from the tank- even when the tank is filled right up to the spout of the filter- which if I kept it at this level, I would have to top up the tank every day. The tank water level seems to drop fairly quickly with this filter increasing the waterfall noise.

Does anyone have any suggesstion in how to either decrease the noise or in a quieter filter? :confused:

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of aquaclear filters, I have several running now on both my saltwater and freshwater tanks. I found them to be the least noisy based on the few hang on back filters I've used.

Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

not a fortune. I would like it to be cost efficient but effective.

Bought my penguin 350 brand new on amazon, free shipping for $30. Came with 2 filters to get u started also. Mine is super quiet as long as u have the cover on that goes over the bio wheels.

Aquaclear ATW!!

+1

I think for your tank size, AC would be a very good choice. I just replaced a Fluval HOB for the AC70 on my 46 gallon community and it's amazing at how quickly the AC cleared up that tank. And it's really quiet.

I used to have Penguins and had lots of issues with the biowheels not turning correctly. I won't have another Penguin in this lifetime.

If you are looking for something dead silent I would go with a canister filter. I never used them until a few months ago when I set up my 75g. I got a Fluval 406 and it is quieter than my AC50 was on a good day. I can't hear it at all from a few feet away. The outflow is noisy when you let the water evap but that is the same with any filter.

Why is your water evaporating so fast ?
Is your tank covered ?

A canister wont have the waterfall effect.
Or you can DIY a flow diverter it sends water out the sides or something to soften the flow.

I'll write more after work.

Why is your water evaporating so fast ?
Is your tank covered ?

A canister wont have the waterfall effect.
Or you can DIY a flow diverter it sends water out the sides or something to soften the flow.

I'll write more after work.

I run mine open top. The surface agitation it causes makes the noise, not the waterfall effect you speak of.

Let's keep this on topic, this isn't about my tank. I was just giving suggestions on filters. No need to write more later unless it is on topic.

the tank is not covered- it is a weird shape (almost like a "B" if you were looking down on it) and I dont think it came with a cover, but I didnt buy the tank so im not sure. So the water does evaporate, and from what i have researched the Penguin filters process alot of water quickly which adds to the problems of the filter

I run mine open top. The surface agitation it causes makes the noise, not the waterfall effect you speak of.

Let's keep this on topic, this isn't about my tank. I was just giving suggestions on filters. No need to write more later unless it is on topic.

Sorry, I thought Coursair was referring to my post.

If the tank is an odd shape you could get some plexi and cut it to fit. It will sag and yellow with time if you have a light real close to it though. That will drastically cut down on evaporation.

When I ran my AC50 I made an extension of the outflow to minimize the splashing sounds from the output of the filter. I initially used some filter floss and suspended it below the output so that it would trickle down to the water. I eventually used some plastic and fastened it to the outflow.

Sorry, I thought Coursair was referring to my post.

If the tank is an odd shape you could get some plexi and cut it to fit. It will sag and yellow with time if you have a light real close to it though. That will drastically cut down on evaporation.

When I ran my AC50 I made an extension of the outflow to minimize the splashing sounds from the output of the filter. I initially used some filter floss and suspended it below the output so that it would trickle down to the water. I eventually used some plastic and fastened it to the outflow.

would you be able to post a picture of how you ooutfitted your tank on the outflow?

would you be able to post a picture of how you ooutfitted your tank on the outflow?

I have since sold the tank/filter but I'll look at my old phone when I get home from work, I think I have some pictures on it. If not I can ask my buddy who bought the tank to take a picture for me.

Back
Top Bottom