Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Suggestions PLEASE! RO/DI unit.4stage

Ive been researching and Im ready to purchase a ro/di unit. Im looking for the best quality unit for best price....like everyone else, Im sure. There are so many brands and Im not familiar with any! Looking at: AquaFX, Coralife, etc.
Does ANYone have any advice? Good experiences, bad ones...reliability of equipment. Im looking for any info I can get. We have 3 tanks and our well water parameters fluctuate too much. We have decided to go this route; just need a little help.
We have 125gal, a 55gal, and 10 gal fw tanks.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It depends what your looking for. Bulkreefsupply sells quality units cheap and extremely customizable and can even create your own system.

Basically here are a few things to look at.

1.) how many gallons per day do you want your unit to be able to produce?

2.) how efficient. Ro/di units can waste a lot of water. Expensive units can produce a 1:1 or close ratio mean one good gallon for every bas gallon rejected. Less expensive models this goes higher with some at 1:4 meaning for every 5 gallons used only one gallon is good water.

3.) bells and whistles. Many units include inline and duel inline tds meters, booster pumps, float switches, plumbing etc.

These should be considered.

From my experience i suggest going the cheap route. I bought a 4 stage from brs for 120 bucks. 0 tds straight out the box and still going strong no problems whatsoever. Only drawback is ita not as efficient as other more expensive units. Meaning more waste water and replacement of di resin and prefilters. These get changed regularly anyway.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Thanks for replying. I want a 4 stage, so its gonna end up being a 50 gpd unit. I knew they had drain lines, but had no idea we were looking at that much waste.
I plan to buy a tds meter, so built in is nothing I need.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Generally, using something like a pump can bring up production a lot. The unit I have runs at 100psi, though my tap is nowhere close. I did a test using three 5g buckets, one for RO/DI and two for waste. I almost got a 1:1 ratio, having about half a gallon more waste than I had ro/di, and still maintaining 0TDS.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Higher flow through your membrane increases its efficiency but a booster pump is also a good penny. Pressure gauges are another option on many units, they are not need but can help you determine of there is a problem or if your filters need changed. 40-60psi into the membrane is acceptable. If lower you may need a booster pump, depends how much presssure is going through your pipes in your home.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

Ok. How long does it take a 50gpd unit to produce 50 gallons?....24hours?
Schism, how many waste gallons does your unit produce? I like 0tds out of box!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep 50g per day or 24 hours. This depends on pressure through the unit tho also. My unit produces probably a 1:3 or so. Not the most efficient however i live in town and use the cities water supply. Even with all the waste water i can make over 200g 0tds rodi for only about 5 bucks on my water bill. That includes waste water. Also many things u can use the waste water for such as watering plants, garden, lawn, etc.

I wouldnt be as concerned with the waste water unless your trying to be as green as possible.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #8

Thanks mfdrook...! I wonder if a small marineland 3in1 pump/powerhead would work? That is a cheaper option, if it would work. Im unsure of psi from tap. We will test it.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #9

Can waste water be ran through ro unit again? That would be green, if I use a pump and water storage containers. Just wondering.
Thanks for all replies!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Oh, no... you have to have a specific pump like this. IMO, you'd be better off getting a 75gpd or 100gpd unit. The membranes are more easily found, and I've not seen a 98% rejection rate on any of the 50gpd membranes I've found.

EDIT: No, you can't run water through again... you can get a water saving kit though... and pressurized holding containers can utilize a permeate pump to reduce waste water.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di, suggestions, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com