Suitable pump for an external canister filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkh13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am setting up a very small tank (8 litre) to hold fry from my freshwater tank and am looking to rig up a small canister filter to cycle the water through. I want to have the pump located externally and was looking at this pump:

http://www.aquariumsystems.eu/instructions/NJ800-1200.pdf

New Jet 800

From the specs it has adjustable water flow and can work externally as well which is ideal for me. My plan is to have the inlet tube located at the bottom of the canister and the outlet tube pointing back into the tank. I will run another tube from the top of the canister to the tank in order to suck up water. Am I correct in assuming that if the canister is well sealed the pump will create suction and pull in water from the tank via the top tube? Also do you think the pump I selected above would create too much flow for such a small tank?

I honestly would not bother with this set-up. It seems like an expense and hassle you could avoid. Just buy an airpump and a sponge filter from ebay. This will do the job just fine, much cheaper and you won't have to worry about the fry getting sucked up.
I reckon that pump might be too powerful for the fry.....

Back
Top Bottom