Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question Suitable table or stand for a 36" x 15" x 20" tank?

I am going to buy the SeaClear 50 gallon tank: SeaClear Rectangular 50 Gallon Aquarium Combos at PETCO

I need a suitable stand that won't break the bank. [moderator edit] if I can repurpose something from Sears or Target I'll do that!

Any advice?

Old 06-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

we had one on an old dresser that worked well. I had my one 55 g on a sturdy coffee table for a bout 4 years and that worked well. MIND YOU this wasnt a cheapy table....

Old 06-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl80 View Post
we had one on an old dresser that worked well. I had my one 55 g on a sturdy coffee table for a bout 4 years and that worked well. MIND YOU this wasnt a cheapy table....
Yeah. I am wondering about that. A gallon weighs what, around 7 pounds? So 7 x 50 = 350 pounds? That's a lot for some of this cheap press wood or balsa furniture made in the last 15 years.

A friend offered me the attached. The top is two pieces that can expand outwards... but closed it is about 38" wide with about a 1/16" dip in the middle (see the photo with a metal dowel in it). I'm thinking this should work just fine. It is REAL wood and heavy as all get out.

What do you think? All he wants for it is for me to haul it away and a 12 pack of Guinness.

Do you think I need to worry about that little dip? If so, any thoughts on what I can put under the tank? Felt or something that can crush?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desk.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	40006   Click image for larger version

Name:	gap.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	40007  

Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm on my fon and can't see real good.... Is it possible to remove the top and attach another top to it? I would do that if possible... Alot more inexpensive than another stand.... And u could stain it dark ? Or paint entire thing if it's paintable or do able for you. Depending on how much work you want to put in it.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

The top does not come off. :-(
Old 06-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are you able to shim the middle an put another board in top? I think I used 3/4 in cabinet grade plywood I think it was called when we did our 99 g built in... Tho it's not finished... Still needs doors etc... Hope someone else can give other ideas... Personally I would think the dip itself, tho small would put stress in the center of the tank and eventually cause it to crack... But that JMO....
Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, I wonder the same thing. But I wonder how flat those $120 stands are from the local pet stores also.

We just fiddled with it and it can't get flat without a planer. I don't have tools so I don't know if Home Depot will cut some plywood or something to size.

I really don't want to start running up bills before I even get started. Sigh.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

:-( hope you can figure out something.... For another fairly inexpensive choice... Check craigslist.... ESP the free... A buffet would prob fit that.... Even a hutch you could take off top. I had a tank on an old drysink I had for awhile... I don't trust the particle board furniture ESP for tanks... I think water.... And, well... A mess lol.

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com