SUMP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronH

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so i am new to marine and havenot built my set up yet and am looking for some help. i have a juewl rio 125 that is currently a cichlid tank. i am planning on the big conversion hopefully some time after xmas. i would like to build a reef tank planning on soft corals a few fish and i like inverts so prob a large clean up crew mainly crabs and snails and one cleaner shrimp. i am also planning on anemones (i love them).... anyways i would like to build a custom sump to go under the cupboard (530mm wide x 260mm deep x 500mm heigh) height is flexible that is the internal dimensions of the cupboard and the space i have to play with i put the maximum height at 500mm as that alows alot of room above that for removal protien skimmer cup or to run pipes etc. i have not chosen any equipment yet except for the external filter and heater because i allready have them running. i would like the sump to be big enough of a place to drain out enough water for a weekley water change and a place to add any chemicals i am planning on haveing the whole back wall of the display tank covered in live rock as much as i can before it either comes out the water or hits an overflow etc (whch is why i wana drain water from the sump and not the main tank during a water change) so i am not to bothered about filtration with that much live rock and an external filter. i am planning on byeing an ro filter aswell so i dont have to go to te shop all the time but this will be plumbed in in the garage away from the tank as there is no room. i will also have a bucket in the garage with a heater and a powerhead in as a place to mix water befor a water change. i am a carpenter by trade so i am not affraid to build things from scratch and have prob got all the tols required. when it comes to geeting the glass cut i have not decided on weather to get it cut from a shop and build it myself or get a custome tank made. any help with this would really help. i have not got a clue where to start and what size to make thigs with buble traps and diffrent compartment sizes etc. i hope there is enough info there. oh yea i am from uk which is why my measurements are in mm and ltrs lol there is about 25mm in an inch if that helps you overseas majority of people lol

That is an awefully small space for a sump. Esp if its for 125g tank.

Most wont even fit in that footprint being only 10 inches wide.

Im not to familiar with the smaller skimmers. Just look at the footprints then design your dump around it make sure your overflow either goes thru a slings or filter socks to get rid of larger debris then a couple baffels to reduce bubbles then into your return pump.

i am just trying to work out how to lay it out if i can have the in let and skimmer in same compartment or outlet and skimmer in same compartment or weather they all have to be seperated i have looked into the v2skim 400 and it will fit under with enough room for maintance and when i get a chance i will look into either a v2skim 300 or 200 as a 400 is whey over skimming and the smaller models will alow more room. like i said i am just trying to work out how to set out the compartments now. n as for the sponge on the inlet thanks for that i wouldnt of thought of that.
:D

Back
Top Bottom