Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InxayonFinland

Aquarium Advice Activist
After having my 29 gallon tank and looking at sumps and other peoples tank with sumps i've been getting the urge to do a sump. The only problem is, what do i do? I've done a little bit of research on how to get the water in and out of the aquarium and a very little bit on how to build them. My question is.. whats the easiest way to build a sump/refugian and how much does it run? I have a 10 gallon rectagular tank that is lying around and i'm wondering if that'll work. Will i have to take my whole tank down to start up the sump? Thanks.

... I have a 29g cycling right now and I want to use my extra empty 10g for the sump. :)

I'm looking to do the exact same thing... I have saved a few things on it, I will be happy to foward them to you after I finish researching tonight :)

I just finished my 10ga sump. Assuming your tank is 12" high, i got 3 pieces of glass( 1/4") cut 8.5 high and the width of the tank (mine was 10 1/8"). Then i had two pieces cut 8.5" x 5". Here is a diagram similar to what i have but the single baffle and the three baffles together have switched places. The 3 together are an inch apart with a gap of 1 inch off the bottom with the center baffle.
My question is.. whats the easiest way to build a sump/refugian and how much does it run?
not sure what you mean by how much does it run but mine runs 24/7.
Will i have to take my whole tank down to start up the sump?
If you use an overflow...no but if you plan on drilling your tank...yes.

I suggest checking out http://www.melevsreef.com/ as it will help answer some of your questions and may give you a design idea for your sump that works for you. HTH.

Attachments

• sump1_859.jpg
    sump1_859.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 173
  • sump2_461.jpg
    sump2_461.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 171
Back
Top Bottom