Sump & Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enervate7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good afternoon, I'm currently interested in purchasing or diy a sump for my 54 gallon bow-front corner aquarium. I have a reef octopus hob bh-2000 running and atm and fluval canister filter. I want to get rid of the canister filter and use a sump. However I'm very unfamiliar on how to set a sump. What is a recommend tank size to place for my 54 gallon? I already have a protein skimmer (hob) and I have a return pump. Lfs says I can buy a hob overflow box for my salt water aquarium ( I have no drilled holes in my aquarium). I would like to add a Refugium as well. I'm not sure on any of this set-up. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can use a HOB overflow. I love the ones that CPR makes as you can attach an aqua lifter to it to prevent any siphon loss.
A sump can be as big as you want, the bigger the better! It is simple to DIY one, I did mine out of a 20 long and measured out the size of glass I needed to create baffles and got them pre cut at Lowes, many hardware stores can do this for you, and simply silicone them in place.

Yea I have a 54 gallon corner I think I can only fit a 10-20 gallon high tank due to limit of space . The problem I'm having is how to make the stuff work. I'm not no Plummer but I am in a budget and I looked at several of the overflow box they can be expensive . I wish there was something online that shows how to build a sump step by step with overflow box, set up refugium without adding a protein skimmer because I already have a hob skimmer.

I have a 27 gallon sump for my 55 gallon DT. It's not very attractive because it takes up a lot of space but I love it.

Good afternoon, I'm currently interested in purchasing or diy a sump for my 54 gallon bow-front corner aquarium. I have a reef octopus hob bh-2000 running and atm and fluval canister filter. I want to get rid of the canister filter and use a sump. However I'm very unfamiliar on how to set a sump. What is a recommend tank size to place for my 54 gallon? I already have a protein skimmer (hob) and I have a return pump. Lfs says I can buy a hob overflow box for my salt water aquarium ( I have no drilled holes in my aquarium). I would like to add a Refugium as well. I'm not sure on any of this set-up. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

I can help you out. I have a overflow box but also added a PVC overflow last week and it works fine.

Yea I have a 54 gallon corner I think I can only fit a 10-20 gallon high tank due to limit of space . The problem I'm having is how to make the stuff work. I'm not no Plummer but I am in a budget and I looked at several of the overflow box they can be expensive . I wish there was something online that shows how to build a sump step by step with overflow box, set up refugium without adding a protein skimmer because I already have a hob skimmer.

Yea pvc pipe? I was looking to fit a 20 gallon I can't fit anymore then that. I know you need baffles made out of glass . But I'm not sure how many to fit? How to place them and all the stages in order for the sump/refugium to work.

There are so many designs my head still spins!
So IMO the most important overflow(level and placement) is the one that seperates the pump from all other water in sump.
This is the volume of evaporation and "free days" you will have if you do not incorporate an ATS(Auto Top off System which I do not use) before you will have to top off .
A 20 gallon tank half full with X overflows may only hold a couple of gallons best before the pump draws air in the last compartment.
I like less overflows (as few as possible ) for this reason(most).

Back
Top Bottom