Sump Anti-Siphon Hole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillage

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been doing a little research on return lines and stuff for my sump. I know you should drill a hole in the pipe just below the water line to prevent a siphon if the power goes out (never has at my house, but you never know). These holes I've seen drilled are all for returns that go over the top of the tank wall and down into the water. My question is, what do you do if the return is going through a bulkhead in the water? There isn't really a place to drill a hole in that case..... Any ideas? TIA

Have the return's output just below the water's surface so that when the power is out the water will barely drop before the siphon is broken because the output will be above the water
OR
Use a check valve for PVC pipes in the return line so that no water will siphon back into the sump.

Have the return's output just below the water's surface so that when the power is out the water will barely drop before the siphon is broken because the output will be above the water
OR
Use a check valve for PVC pipes in the return line so that no water will siphon back into the sump.

So, have the pvc go through the bulkhead, then go up towards the surface? I think I'll do that, so the water will agitate the surface. If I were to do that, and put a hole in the pvc down by the bulkhead, and one by the top to agitate the surface, would the hole on top still stop the siphon? Or would the only opening have to be at the top? Thanks for the help.

No, the bulkhead will be close to the surface and you use one of those adjustable outputs (black and can point in any direction). The actual output needs to be close to the surface. With a bulkhead it isn't even a siphon, i tis gravity just like a bulkhead drain to the sump.

The best thing is to put a check valve on the return line so that no matter how you plumb the return water can't drain back down into the sump through the return line.

Back
Top Bottom