sump beside tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triply

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 90 gallon tank that sits on the floor built into my counter.

i need to have the sump sit beside the tank

is this possible with the holes being drilled into the bottom of the main tank?

my concern is that the water will not flow out up and over into the sump at all or at least not at the same rate as the pump pushes it back out.

let me know what i should do here

First of all are ther holes on the bottom of the tank?
If there is not , I suggest you don't drill yhe bottom of the tank.Usally the bottom of tanks a tempered glass , which would break as soon as you put preasure of the bit.
What you could do is drill the back or the sides of the tank and put a bulkhead to drain to the sump. ( Gl*******s.com makes nice overflow kits w/ bit very reasonable prices)
Now the concern with water not being able to makes it's way to the tank with a good pump that pushes 600gph and up will be okay. Just take the head loss into consideration when choosing a pump.

the holes are already in the bottom

the issue i am having also is not with the return water i have no worries that a pump will push the water

my concern is that the water will not flow over the overflow through the bends of the pvc and into the sump fast enough to supply the pump

It should be fine. If your worried, use spa flex. In most peoples tanks, especially with 2 overflows, people have bends in the pipe. As long as the pump is not grossly over powerful then it should be fine.

I have a 90 gallon myself with two 1 inch bulkheads and I have no problem. I run my return pump a Iwaki md30rlxt wide open and I also use sch40 pvc and the drains keep up with no problems.You will be fine .

Back
Top Bottom