Sump (Biowheels)- Refugium- HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themangia1984

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a marineland high capacity sump. I was wondering if the biowheels that come with the sump is good or bad for the tank. I dont know if I should remove the bio wheels one at a time since I dont want to cause any spikes. I have over 220 lbs of LR so I dont know if the bio wheels are needed or if removing them instantly will hurt the tank. My Nitrates have been at a constant 20 and I think this may be due to the wheels holding alot of waste. I have been debating how I could add a refugium. I dont believe the sump I have now would give me the option of adding a refugium or maybe Im wrong. If anyone has advice on what I should do or how i could incorporate a refugium that would be greatly appreciated.

You can slowly remove them, but I wouldn't blame your nitrate level on them. I used bioballs in my wet/dry for over 15 yrs and never had any nitrate issues.
Can you post a pic of your sump? That might help with ideas on getting a fuge in it.

Back
Top Bottom