Sump Cleaning and Cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustybrannum

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sherman, texas-college in arlington,tx near Dall
In my sump i have some CC that has adopted many pods, small starfish, and probably lots of life I cannot see. Also the walls of the sump are covered in what looks like a gelatin mounds( i.e. filter feeder, sponge?). Should I clean these off or leave them as they may help more than hurt? Also could this area not being cleaned cause my cyano problem. All my parameters are in range except pH is a little low (8.0) and the KH and alk are low 6.6 for KH and 2.2 for alk. Could these low parameters cause it? When I feed my fish eat like junk yard dogs and barely any food touches the bottom unless it is so small I cannot see it. I have a 30 gallon fuge that is packed full of caluerpa prolifera so that should help on any excess nutrients. I use RODI water with my TDS stating less that 5. My lamps will be 1 year old in September but they are run only 8 hours a day. I tried chemi clean before and it did not seem to do anything.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be wonderful. Thanks

If your lamps are PC then you should replace them every 6 months. I've heard 7-9 months but I get algae outbreaks if I go past 6 mnths.

A tdsl of 5 after DI is high. It should be 0. What is your starting (faucet) tds? Time to change your DI cartridge.

The truth is tds doesn't tell you anything except when the unit starts to fail. If your tds is five after replacing the resin/cartridges your safe until it starts to rise.

Back
Top Bottom