Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Well only way I know of is you make strips of acrylic and silicone them and take your piece of acrylic between those strips and silicone that. Silicone dont really work on acrylic but with the strips it can make a better seal. Liquid Nails Yikes dont think so.

drillsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
hey its strong as hell

Jeraljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would not use "liquid nails". I am converting a 55 tank into a sump. I am going to a local glass shop and having some 3/8 glass cut to size. Then just silicone it in place.
Acrylic is tough to cut cleanly if you do not have the right equipment. A regular saw will melt it back together as you cut and leaves a very rough edge.
Good Luck,
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wouldn't use Liquid Nails. But, for what it's worth, regular silicone aquarium sealant, though it does not bond well to acrylic, is fine for some situations.

I'm using a 20g tall as a sump, and attached 3 full-width pieces of acrylic to serve as baffles/bubble trap. After doing a freshwater test, I decided to lower the baffles. It was quite a task getting the baffles out! Of course, the silicone off of the acrylic a lot easier than it did the glass, but a thick bead held the baffles in place just fine.

90g AGA Reef-Ready; 20g sump; 12g refugium; ASM G2 skimmer; 2x Maxijet 1200; Quiet One 3000 return pump

2 Ocellaris Clowns; Nassarius, Cerith and Strombus snails; Scarlet, Blue-Leg, and Zebra hermits.
macphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com