Sump design, acrylic question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm designing the sump for my 180.

I was originally going to go with a single 48" acrylic tank from glasscages.com, with a skimmer area, a return area, then a fuge area, which would get water from a small pump in the return area, and overflow back to the return area with a bulkhead at the top of the baffle.

But, now I'm thinking about a separate tank for the fuge and sump. Same setup, a small pump in the return area would send water to the fuge, which would be raised over the sump a foot or so, and drain via a 1" bulkhead back into the return area.

This would give me the flexibility to adjust fuge size down the road, and have a larger return resevoir, and more room for heaters, UV, sump socks, etc in the sump.

Any thoughts?

Also - how hard is it to drill a bulkhead hole in acrylic? I might just buy a standard acrylic aquarium, and glue the baffles, and add the 2 bulkheads for return pumps myself. I know glass takes special considerations, but what about acrylic? I've never done anything with it except cut small pieces with a hack saw...

Sump / fuge idea sounds great. I had a setup similar to this awhile back.

As for drilling acrylic... I don't think it is too hard. I drilled a 1.25" hole in a sheet of 3/8" acrylic a couple of days ago with a regular hole saw. I had the drill on the speed setting and it melted the acrylic a little. Going slower would have been better though.

ellisz - no cracking problems? You didn't do anything else, just drill the hole?

Back
Top Bottom