Sump Design! Needs approval or modifications before I build please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stick strips on the side of the tank to hold it up

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used glass cause my tank is glass but i ges u can use plastic strips or anything of that manner

Just waiting on the sponge blocks to come in.

I'm planning to use this silicone is it safe? I read silicone 1 is safe no matter what.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408067321.986210.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408067341.923530.jpg

Sweet . The GE brand which is that one u have is the best to my knowledge. All of my tanks are glass and this silicone was used on all of them. Works great.

Idk it might be. If you can get silicone specifically for aquariums (will cost quite a bit more) then that would be your safest bet.

This one does not leech out any toxins and is water safe.

Ok. Got it all put together this weekend. Went through a lot of silicone and gave myself a couple of good cuts. But here it is, not pretty but it works.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408399052.464314.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408399092.243344.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408399129.986808.jpg

There are 3-4 small leaks in a few of the baffles but I don't see why it would be a problem as the majority (I'd say 99.99%) of the water still runs through all the stages over and under the baffles.

Also, I'm having a problem with small bubbles being created by the initial water overflow splashing in the first stage of the overflow box. They go through ok but I'm worried a few might clump up at the top of the u tube and create a large bubble restricting the overflow rate... Anything I can do about that?

Another problem that arose when I was tinkering with my return line was a siphon back to the sump when I turned the pump off. This really worried me cause I'd hate to have my power shut off and then have my room submerged in an inch of water.

After my next paycheck I'm going out and buying some media. Thinking of using bioballs and either crushed ceramic or lava rocks.

How do you guys have your return line connected to your sump? In the picture it's just resting in it but that is temporary.

Sorry trying not to overload but I am excited to get it all finished so I can start my cycle.

Garbro

Congrats! I'll try to answer most of your questions.
You could put a thin layer of precut floss or sponge material in the intake box to reduce the amount of bubbles. Typically the smaller bubbles should be sucked through the siphon hose before they have a chance to create a "super bubble".
To prevent water from siphoning back into the sump, drill a small hole in the return those just above the water line. You can angle the hole slightly downwards towards the water's surface. When the pump is off air will enter through the small hole and prevent a siphon from forming.
You can use some type of clamp to secure the end of the hose as it leads into the sump. My sump has a fixed top and has a bulkhead fitting that attaches to the hose from the overflow.

Padd off the overflow box just how was recommended. Works well enough. As for the siphoning go to your local hardware and buy a check or one way inline valve and get it the same size of your hose. So when current cuts the valve will lock off the flow back . And as for media bio balls works gd enough and ceramic rings as well

Since there will be no trickling I think that I will get something to use as my bio media other than bio balls. I've read that they are best used for wet/dry and if they're submerged they don't work as well as other types of media.

What would you guys suggest? I don't have as much space for media as I thought I did.

Back
Top Bottom