Sump design question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the process of designing my new sump. The skimmer I ordered (Bubble magus NAC6) has a footprint length of 6.7" and it's going in sideways in the sump. How big of a section do I need to reserve in my sump for my skimmer?

Thanks,
Keith

just an inch or so play all the way around it is fine. Remember that the drain(s) will be going in this area so you need room for them too.

Thanks Mr. X. Should I just PM you since you seem to be the only one answering to my posts??? LOL. As far as the plans go, I'm thinking of these sections from left to right: A small drain section with either a filter sock or some filter pad, a bubble trap, skimmer and heater section, refugium, bubble trap, then return section. Does that sound OK? BTW thanks for the recommendations for the skimmer. I also looked into the ballast but the one you recommended had a different plug.

I would make it like so-
1. drains and skimmer section (with heaters)
2 refugium
3 bubble trap and then return area.

as far as the ballast, you just have to cut off the plugs and attach them with some wire nuts. super easy.

You will definitely want the bubble traps just before the return. You can also use egg crate to raise the skimmer up to the proper level.

The description for the skimmer said "water level 9.5" - 11"". I thought they were talking about how deep of water the skimmer had to be in to work properly. Are they talking about the level of water inside the cylinder? The drawing wasn't quite to scale yet. It is a rough draft.

Back
Top Bottom