sump/display tank balance problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I am. I just turned them upwards for pic purposes. Just water testing the entire system with fresh water. Still need to move the tank upstairs to the living room.

David S said:
looks like quite a slow flow as well.

Isn't a slow flow through the sump/fuge a good thing? U would know better than I would so please share your knowledge.

Getting some drain noise now too :(

But the balance is great, my return section of the sump is small so water is going to need to be topped off frequently. 12x5" is the space.

Should be setting up the tank tomorrow and Monday. Picked up an extra 30lbs LR, 40 lbs sand, 2 750gph powerheads and some bio active substrate for my fuge.

i would look into auto top off units. put a bucket or something close by with a maxijet in it and let it top the tank off. refill the bucket every so often instead of daily.

Ok I'll look into that. Thx.

Tank is 90% filled with water now so I'll post up pics as the night continues with progress

Epic fail on my part. Forgot to rinse the sand!

I have over 200gals of salt mix so I'm creating new water now and I'm just going to replace all 40 gals of water and vac the top dust layer on the sand.

Yea that's what I have going. Two 100gph filters. One in my fuge area too.

Water was clear but not 100% clear this morning. Should be throwing in the LR tonight after work. Maybe a few damsels too

I should prob make a build thread tonight, keep track of my tank progress

skip the damsels. they are super hard to remove, super aggressive, and there's no need to use a fish to start a cycle. just put a piece of raw shrimp in the tank and that will start your cycle.

I was informed that since I am using 55lbs of really nice LR (25 from my last 20g tank and 30 that was from a lfs) that i can skip the cycle. all rock is extremely purple and has those worm things on them, it's really nice rock. It's all been sitting in a bucket for the last few days and all test results from that water was 0

"really nice LR" has nothing to do with it being live or needing to be cycled. the purple on live rock is nothing more than algae. It means absolutely nothing.
99% of rock from the LFS is not cured and will need cycling.
I would try adding some ammonia to the tank and see what happens before you add livestock.

Ok. I'll get some ammonia at the hardware store on my way home from work.

So add the rock than the ammonia and look for the rise in ammonia... Nitrite.. And lastly nitrate.

Than do a big pwc and add the live stock.

Ill leave my shrimp/crabs/coral in the bin I have my LR in now I suppose

Ok in the store getting some as we speak. Add 2-3 teaspoons?

Ok great.

I turned my sump pump on and ran a test with saltwater, mixed up the sand/water a bit so I'm going to be patient for once and let it run/settle until I add the LR and add ammonia

Added ammonia as you can see. Let's see what happens in a few days! Still need to get algae for the sump, will do that tomorrow

Attachments

• image-2854335085.jpg
    image-2854335085.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom