sump/display tank balance problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnice17

Aquarium Advice Freak
the picture is my exact setup

i still need to get a few more things but thats where im at right now

my problem is that i cant get the return/drain the same. my sump levelness always varies depending on my ball valves position but i cant dial it in to be perfect. the ever so slighest turn of either valve is either too much or too little.

this my first DIY sump build, so bare with me :)

advise?

Attachments

• DIY sump.jpg
    DIY sump.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 218
You shouldn't be restricting your overflow pipe at all. As long as your return pump doesn't pump more GPH than your overflow can handle, there's no need to throttle either back. If anything, throttling down the return would be the only thing if you want to decrease flow through the sump.

yea i do feel the pump return into the tank is too much, same with the flow through the sump. so thats why i restricted the drain, help with noise too. than had the sump recirculating a lot to help in filtering since the flow is too high.

i was reading that putting a ball valve on the return is not good. idk?

this pump is noisy because its old. would getting a new lower flow pump be better? or is this pump fine for my tank (flow wise)

Putting a ball valve on the return is fine, as long as it's upstream from the pump, not before entering the pump. Putting a valve on the overflow is risky. I'd get a pump that is under your overflow capacity so there's no worry with overflowing... however, you can keep in mind that you'll lose some flow to height... but I would still get equal to or lower than the overflow capability.

the overflow/drain pipe is 1" PVC and it seems it out does the return pump in GPH. so thats good right?

and ok so, i can put a 3/4" ball valve on the return up to the tank, and keep the 1/2" off the T in the return right?

ok so if i have this straight... than i would be restricting the return... thus the drain would be slower, thus flow through sump is slower...? :) no harm to the pump correct?

Shouldn't be any harm. Some people say it actually extends the life of the pump, though that makes no sense to me at all. I've got a ball valve on my return pump, with it throttled back just a bit.

forgot to add, would it be beneficial to take some of the filtered water from the return (1/2 T ball valve) and have it go through the sump again for better filtration? but this mean i would have to play with the ball valves to even the flow right?

You can,just have both valves past the 'T' and your good to go.If your worried about noise from the drain into the sump make sure both pipes end under the water level unless your using a filter sock.

Shouldn't be any harm. Some people say it actually extends the life of the pump, though that makes no sense to me at all. I've got a ball valve on my return pump, with it throttled back just a bit.
It does extend the life of the pump and lowers the electricity usage.

Ok so today I'll be installing a 3/4" ball valve on my return line. Should I put it before or after the T?

Should I redo the entire return line to 1/2"? Or won't matter..?

Is my 1" drain too large?

It does extend the life of the pump and lowers the electricity usage.
See, I would have thought it would use more electricity, since it would seem that the pump would have to work a little harder... but, maybe I'm just not understanding how they work quite right.

the drain is not too large. you can make the drain out of a 6" diameter pipe- it won't drain one more drop than the return pump is sending up.

Ok I'm going to have to play with it more tonight once I install the 3/4" valve on the return. I'll let u guys know how it goes

Ok so I think it's working as it should. I have the amount of water flow I was looking for.

Might redo the entire return line and put that T after the ball valve so I put some water through the sump twice.

So far so good! Thank you! Just need to deal with some drain noise now :/

Finished product

What do you guys think of the flow return/back into the sump?

Attachments

• image-33772548.jpg
    image-33772548.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1300539147.jpg
    image-1300539147.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-725210393.jpg
    image-725210393.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 88
6 t5 bulbs. Should be able to have some nice coral

Attachments