Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sump filters - theory & plumbing

I now have a cannister filter on my 65-bal FOWLR tank, but am thinking about changing to a sump filter, and wondering about combining one with a refugium. I'm looking for info on the theory of sump filters (e.g. what are the baffles for?) and specifics on the plumbing.

In particular, since sump filters as I understand them are open and gravity fed from main tank, you must need some sort of valve to control the outflow water to keep the sump from overflowing. I want to understand the plumbing and how it works before proceeding.

One advantage I see for a sump filter is that it would use a sock filter that would be easy to clean or change - right?

Grateful for any helpful pointers.

TIA

Bob Peitzke

Old 06-17-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

Old 06-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

DIY sump info

Wow ! What a goldmine of information. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeitzke View Post
I now have a cannister filter on my 65-bal FOWLR tank, but am thinking about changing to a sump filter, and wondering about combining one with a refugium. I'm looking for info on the theory of sump filters (e.g. what are the baffles for?) and specifics on the plumbing.

In particular, since sump filters as I understand them are open and gravity fed from main tank, you must need some sort of valve to control the outflow water to keep the sump from overflowing. I want to understand the plumbing and how it works before proceeding.

One advantage I see for a sump filter is that it would use a sock filter that would be easy to clean or change - right?

Grateful for any helpful pointers.

TIA

Bob Peitzke
To avoid possible overflowing of the sump. Your best option is to drill the hole in the tank near the water surface. This way water can only overflow into the sump from the surface that is pumped back into the tank itself from the sump.

I would never have an overflow any other way, because of exactly what you fear. Some people build a corner overflow with a piece of glass to get dry filteration as it overflows over the top down to the drilled hole at the bottom of the tank. But if the silicon fails on the corner glass, your whole tank would drain dry.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-worms View Post
I would never have an overflow any other way, because of exactly what you fear.
My tank is drilled on the bottom and I use the Durso standpipes and it does not allow your tank to overflow, not even during power outages. It also does not give a gargling noise that most other overflows experience. I would highly recommend looking into it.

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filters, plumbing, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com