Sump for a 40 Gal Reef - Worth the trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I was wondering if it would make a difference to add a sump for a 37gal reef in process? If so, how big. I was tkinking 10gal, which would be about 25% of the water volume?

Thanks

John

If you have the space, go bigger. If cost is a concern, just get a rubbermaid container. I think it's worth it just to have the heater, skimmer, etc out of the display. On a smaller tank, all the more reason to not have equipment in your tank cluttering up your view.

Okay, heres the plan

20 Gal rubbermaid

Use the pump from my Protein skimmer to pull water into the skimmer-flow into the sumo-PS rated for 100gal 37 tank+20sump=57 so I think I would be ok.

Buy extra pump to flow water back to tank.

Install heater in sump

Can I cut holes into the top of the rubbermaid to seal it. The sump will be on the floor so I need to seal it from the dogs.

Do I add LR or other items.

Thanks

How are you getting the water from the tank into the sump?

I was going to use PVC to draw water from the top of my tank, flow directly into my Protein skimmer. Have the PS dump into the sump (its a Seaclone 100 hang on PS) then use another pump to flow back into the tank. I guess the trick would be to match the flow rates of the return pupm with the flow of the protein slimmer.

What should be the turnover rate?
What else should be in the sump?
How many #'s of LR?
I was also going to somehow connect the mechanical filter that came with my tank?

I would never try to match flow rates. You'll drive yourself insane. One may slow down over time faster than the other, etc. Not worth the impending water accident all over your floor.

Instead get an overflow box and overflow out of the "main" into the sump below, feed the skimmer from the sump and feed the main with a pump from the sump.

I had a 10 on my 29 and ended up having to use the same one for my 65 because nothing bigger would fit into the stand.

john0087 said:
I was going to use PVC to draw water from the top of my tank, flow directly into my Protein skimmer. Have the PS dump into the sump (its a Seaclone 100 hang on PS) then use another pump to flow back into the tank. I guess the trick would be to match the flow rates of the return pupm with the flow of the protein slimmer.

You’re asking for a flood doing it that way. Best to use an overflow so the water leaving the tank matches what’s being poured back in.

What should be the turnover rate?
10-15 times per hour including sump pump & PH.
What else should be in the sump?
You could also make it a refugium :D
How many #'s of LR?
As much as can fit and still be covered imo unless you also want to turn it into a refugium.
I was also going to somehow connect the mechanical filter that came with my tank?
You can for additional AC filtering but if it’s a HOB then it might prove difficult. I’d use "bubble baffles" and place it at the end near the return.

Back
Top Bottom