Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sump/Fuge DSB?

Hopefully my last question before my sump/fuge goes live.

I've got about a 12 gallon fuge built into my new sump. I want it mainly for pod growth. It's 13" deep. I want to cram as much rock rubble as I can in this thing. I've got 60lbs from hirocks.com. I won't be able to fit it all, but maybe I can throw some in the skimmer chamber and my main as well. I already have a 4" DSB in my main tank along with about 150lbs of rock (110g tank). I do plan on running lights opposite the main light cycle.

Would a DSB in my fuge be any real help? If not, I'd rather throw a 1-2" sand bed in there and use the rest for rock and chaeto.

- Skins

SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Unless you anticipate a heavy waste load, the DSB in the main part of the tank should be enough. However...A DSB in the fuge could help promote good algae growth in the fuge providing the macro algae with good 'soil' to dig it's roots into. IMO, cramming a fuge with rock doesn't do what refugiums are meant to do. Save most of that space for macro algae and put the rock in the sump itself. That's what I would do. Reef Mud is a great substrate for refugiums. I've never seen refugiums loaded with rock...if any at all. They're generally layered with mud and/or live sand and planted with macro algae. Makes a safe haven for pods to breed.

We, as a people, know so much more about outer space than we do about our own oceans. This lack of knowledge can very well spell the dangers that lay in wait for us.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I had about 4-5" SB in my 15 tall fuge and I had to change the sand out a few months back. I had that fuge running for 2 years and the SB went bad, started to release sulfer and it smelled bad.
I set the fuge back up with 2" and it is going well. JMO not worth it.. Like Tfish says leave room for macro it will help the tank out alot.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got very small pieces of rock rubble that I want to use to promote pod growth in the fuge. I'm not planning on cramming it all in the fuge, I would just rather use that 2"x12" space for rock rather than sand if I don't need it. Just seems like a waste.

SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote

dsb, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com