Sump? 'fuge? Wet-dry filter? So confused!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20 20

Aquarium Advice Freak
In case you hadn't figured out by the topic, I'm new to saltwater. I'm considering starting up a 120 gallon reef, and have been looking around for information, and stumbled on a few forums, this one seems 'the best' (yeah, that was your basic 'gratuitous' comment to get help...). I've seen lots of stuff about the setup of reef tanks, and am a bit confused, and can't seem to find the 'simple answers' I'm looking for. Basically, how are those 3 related, are they somehow the same (don't think so), can they all be hooked up in a reef setup and how, do I need them all, etc. Would/should/how would I also hook up a protein skimmer and a UV sterilizer. I've been trying to find a basic diagram of how they would all hook together, and can't seem to find anything. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, eh? ;) :?:

It depends on the skimmer and the UV.

Skimmers most of them run on a pump of some sort, so all you need to do is hook a pump up like the skimmer's instructions tell you to.

As far as the UV most UVs are inline (Having an in and out hose), so you can either have a pump pumping to the uv then having the water come back to the tank, or you can have a pump pumping the water from the sump to the uv and back, or whatever.

A sump is basically an extention of your tank, a seperate tank with water flowing back and forth from the main tank to the sump. Good place to hide your heaters and stuff.

A fuge is sortof like a sump but built to grow algeas and stuff.

Wet dry filter is just a type of filter, I think its possible to put one of these in a sump but im not sure. Maybe someone else would help you on the wet dry

a wet/dry is a sump....both wet/dry and fuge is sumps...they are just set up different
a wet/dry (in most cases) have a trickle affect over bio balls - most on here suggest to get away from that....remove the trickle affect and replace the bioballs with LR rubble (gota make sure the water level stays over the LR. the LR will help with the filtering.

a fuge is a sump but is seperated to allow for the fuge sand and stuff to provide the natural filtering

It is really what you want and the amount you want to spend
do a search for wet/dry on here....theres a good site with a full description on how it works...

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm familiar with what a wet-dry filter is, but hadn't heard about using LR in place of the bio-balls.

As far as a sump, I can think of a couple of benefits of having a sump, such as to increase the capacity of the tank (to hold more livestock) and to hide equipment such as heaters. What other purpose does a sump have? How would it be connected with/to a wet-dry filter?

Well, this place IS great! Took the time to do some more searching, and found a few threads with great descriptions, diagrams, and pictures of sumps. It looks to me like if you build the sump right, it IS your 'wet' filter. AND it can contain the 'refugium'. AND you can put a skimmer in it. AND you can connect a UV to it. Cool stuff!

getting started

hey congrats on getting started. I have a custom acrylic and it's 100 gallons, well just a lil over 100. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have just completed my set up and have researched and read just about everything. some recomendations.......first give me your dimensions
steven
tulsa

The tank I'm considering is 120 gallons, 60x18x26. Not sure about fish-only, or reef. Just trying to learn right now. I've had quite a learning experiance on sumps today, but I'm sure there's a lot more that I don't know about them than I do know!

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
have been looking around for information, and stumbled on a few forums, this one seems 'the best'
I like you already, you seem smart. :lol:
As far as a sump, I can think of a couple of benefits of having a sump, such as to increase the capacity of the tank (to hold more livestock)
This is not exactly true. While the extra water volume will certainly help in keeping water parameters more stable, livestock selection should still be made based on the size of the main, not a combination of both.
can they all be hooked up in a reef setup and how
Yes. The best way is to buy a tank that is "reef ready". This just means it has an internal overflow and comes with various plumbing parts to get the water to a sump. If your tank is not reef-ready you can use an external overflow box. I prefer reef-ready tanks.
Would/should/how would I also hook up a protein skimmer and a UV sterilizer.
A skimmer can just go into the sump, depending on design. UVs are generaly "in-line" equipment. They are ot really needed in the begining. I would put the money towards something else.

reef tank or fish only

i recommend starting out kind of slow. Go with a fish only tank, its cheaper and will give you some confidence. If you throw in some live rock, coral you'll have to buy special lighting and that can be expensive. Just my lighting cost 486.00 bucks. And besides you can always add live rock and coral down the road as your budget allows. Are you going with a predator tank or reef fish tank. Careful not to mix the two. if you have a pic of your tank send it to me at i10shunk at yahoo dot com.I would like to help you as much as you can.. What is your budget also? talk to you soon
steven Tulsa

i recommend starting out kind of slow. Go with a fish only tank, its cheaper and will give you some confidence. If you throw in some live rock, coral you'll have to buy special lighting and that can be expensive. Just my lighting cost 486.00 bucks.
I have to disagree with this statement. LR is a HUGE benefit to any SW tank, especially if this is your first one. It will really aid in keeping a higher water qualtiy which will make things eeasier on you. Do not think of LR as something that just goes into the tank. Think of it more along the lines of essential equaipment, much like a skimmer or mechanical filter. Contrary to the above statement, LR does not need any special lighting requirements, plain old NO lighting is just fine. The beneficial bacteria that grow on the LR do not depend on light for energy. Corals are a completely different story.

go with a FOWLR....u can use NO lights and then upgrade later...
what i did was make a custom hood and went to HD and got a dual buld NO shop light...48 " and can use 40 watt bulbs...got 2 of them so i have 4 NO bulbs...thats 160 watts
the HD here has them at about $8 for the light fixture...been good and strong running for 3 mths now
figure im not goin to wasit money cause with i upgrade i can use the NO lights in my garage :)

Do you know where I can find any plans for DIY hoods?

Back
Top Bottom